I absolutely LOVE drawing peacock feathers. I created a simple tutorial for those of you who would like to create some. They are fantastic for adding to girls wearing fascinators sketches. You dig?
First, I would suggest you find a stock image to look off of. (I highly recommend the free stock images from Deviantart)
Here we go...
1. Just draw a balloon, really simple.
2. Inside the balloon looking part of the feather are what kind of looks like to me the bottom part of a tied balloon. If you have stock photo handy pay attention to the design and try to duplicate it. It's usually just more oval/circular designs.
3. Lightly color in the main part of the eye
4. I made the base of mine a bit darker but you can do yours a bit differently if you want to.
5. If you have a shader you can use that to blend it all together, if not you can smudge with your finger, grab a tissue and blend or make your own shader by rolling up paper and taping it.
6. Make the small part of the eye the darkest
7. Lightly color in the rest of the eye and blend for a desirable effect.
6. You can really make the feather however you want but usually the feathers are more spaced out at the bottom and closer together as they get to the top. You can use the letter V as an example for your layout of the feather.
7. To add my lines up at the top with the eye I actually go through the eye with my pencil, and then blend them in so they aren't really visible and tacky.
8. The feathery parts are actually a lot thicker so I would suggest adding more to them.