This very basic tutorial will take you step by step to create a square knot, which is the basic knot you'll need to know when learning how to macrame. You'll need some type of cord to start with, it can be jute, hemp or even twine.
1. Start with four cords.
2. Bring the right cord over and to the left of the two anchor cords.
3. Place the left cord over the right cord.
4. Bring the left cord under the anchors and through the loop formed by the right cord.
5. Pull and you have the first half of the Square Knot.
6. Bring the left cord over and to the right of the two anchor cords and place the right cord over it.
7. Bring the right cord under the anchors and through the loop formed by the left cord.
8. Pull the cords and you have the finished Square Knot.