WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
2 Tube Socks
1. If you are using large mens socks like I am, cut the tube at about 2/3 to the end of the tube part. If you are using smaller socks (such as womens), Just cut at the end of the tube. Do this for both socks.
2. Step 1. completed.
3. Now grab one of the tubes you cut. Make sure the cut end is pointing up, and the side you want the outside of the sweater to be is on the inside (you may have to turn the tube inside out). Now divide the tube in half (IN YOUR MIND), then in fourths (AGAIN, IN YOUR MIND). Sew along the outer fourths, starting about an inch down and sewing all the way to the edge. Make sure ONLY AN INCH IS SEWN and the rest of the tube is unsewn. You can either use a machine or hand sew (here I've hand sewn).
4. Step 3. Complete.
5. 3. from the inside top edge. The bottom should have no divisions.
6. Now grab those scissors! Cut a curved section starting about two inches down and a little before than the line you've sewn. BE CAREFUL NOT TO CUT OVER WHERE YOU'VE SEWN! The end result should have a hole that stops where the stitches start. Now set this part aside...
7. ...And grab the other tube! Divide the tube in half (yet again, in your mind).
8. But this time, cut along the line! AKA just cut the tube in half.
9. Now take one of the pieces you've just cut and, with the side you want the sweater to be on the inside, sew the edge closed. Start from the cut edge and sew about 1/4 of an inch up. Sew all the way to the other end. Repeat on the other piece. You may use a machine if you want.
10. Once both the pieces are sewn, turn them inside out! Here's one of the pieces in the process.
11. Step 10. completed on both pieces. Now grab the very first part (the one from the other tube), as well as one of the long pieces that was turned inside out...
12. ...And stuff one of the long pieces into the big one, pulling it up through the hole! In the process.
13. Step 12. complete. Now sew the long piece (the sleeve) to the big one (the body) by sewing around the edge of the hole. Be careful not to sew the sleeve shut! I recommend you hand sew this part, 'cause I don't know of any machine small enough to do this detail! Then pull up the other sleeve on the other side and do the same.
14. Step 13. completed on both sides. Now, the fun part!
15. Turn the main body inside out, roll the sleeves up and the neck down (if desired)...
16. And you have a sweater! Now to go try it on my boy.
Ta-da! Hope that was a good tutorial!