Weave a chain necklace with embroidery thread.
On a hunt for coral jewelry I found this bracelet and LOVED it. First thought: gotta pin it. Second thought: I can make that! Which is good because the original cost $395 and is out of stock (people paid that?).
I picked up a chain necklace from Goodwill a few weeks ago for $2 and figured I could braid it with some kind of thread. Funny, I can’t braid hair worth a flip (maybe because I don’t have any) but I can braid jewelry!
Total cost about $3.Posted by Stephanie @ Henry Happened from Kentucky • Published October 8, 2011 • See Stephanie @ Henry Happened's 7 projects »
- Ashley W. favorited Diy Woven Chain Necklace 22 May 13:22
- christina c. favorited Diy Woven Chain Necklace 19 May 01:21
- Rosario F. favorited Diy Woven Chain Necklace 18 Mar 14:51
- Mariana Z. favorited Diy Woven Chain Necklace 07 Feb 06:05
- Alex B. favorited Diy Woven Chain Necklace 25 Dec 21:53
- Emma N. added Diy Woven Chain Necklace to To do 20 Sep 10:23
- Bohemian Tragedeez commented on Diy Woven Chain Necklace 15 Sep 07:37
- Bohemian Tragedeez favorited Diy Woven Chain Necklace 15 Sep 07:36
- bsidebeauty added Diy Woven Chain Necklace to n00b 25 Aug 16:06
- emzilou favorited Diy Woven Chain Necklace 18 Aug 17:40
Good news: this is the hardest part. Create your thread bundles. You want about 15-18 individual threads in each bundle, and they should be roughly 2-3 times the length of chain.
Knot the two bundles of thread together at the top, leaving about 1-1.5 inches at the top. Lay the thread out to the left of the chain.
Take the thread on the right (the one closest to the chain) and bring it through the chain from underneath.
Cross the thread on the left over the right then pull it through the chain from underneath.
Continue crossing and threading. Once you get the hang of it, it goes really fast.
Optional: If you have a wider chain you can bring both threads through each link for a chunkier look. I did some of both on my necklace.
Knot the thread when you get to the end and trim the edges.
I’m not usually a necklace person but I have been having fun wearing this and my turquoise one!