How to Make a Shrinky Necklace - Good things come in small (crisp) packages
We ate so many bags of cheap crisps when we made these shrinky necklaces to sell in the shop. Hundreds! And we became obsessed by the packaging, and the amazing graphics on noodle packets and sweet wrappers from continental markets. One day we found an ancient empty crisp packet – hedgehog flavour – under the floorboards and it was like discovering gold!
- Chan Jing Yuan :) favorited Crisp Packet Necklace 12 May 11:52
- Shirley H. favorited Crisp Packet Necklace 29 Mar 19:59
- sabrina p. favorited Crisp Packet Necklace 11 Jan 02:22
- Bobbi B. favorited Crisp Packet Necklace 14 Sep 17:14
- the hunt of the unicorn favorited Crisp Packet Necklace 08 Aug 17:10
- bemeself favorited Crisp Packet Necklace 18 Jun 17:40
- TinaTsouk replied to a comment on Crisp Packet Necklace 16 May 17:42
- TinaTsouk commented on Crisp Packet Necklace 16 May 17:41
- TinaTsouk favorited Crisp Packet Necklace 16 May 17:41
- Strawberrygeek favorited Crisp Packet Necklace 15 May 09:00
Scoff the contents of the packets while making up the necklace. Salt and vinegar crisps, yum.
Make an envelope with the greaseproof paper and pop your food packet inside it. Set your oven to a medium
heat and let it warm up a bit Put the envelopes on to a baking tray and put it in the oven. Don’t wander off.
The packets will start to shrink and curl up but you don’t want them to burn or blister, so keep a weather eye on proceedings.
As soon as you think they’ve shrunk enough, remove the baking sheet and quickly pop a folded tea towel on
top of the envelope and then slam your hand down on it to flatten your shrinkies. BAM! Such a satisfying
noise. Don’t worry if it goes wrong the first few times you attempt it, as there’s a bit of a knack to it. Practise
on easy-to-come-by stuff, and when you’ve mastered the art, go to work on your carefully hoarded vintage
Now decide how you want your shrinky to dangle. If you punch a hole in the corner it’ll hang aslant, but if you punch a hole in the top centre it’ll dangle straight down. Use the hole punch to make the hole when you’ve chosen its position. Open a regular jump ring with the pliers and thread the packet on to the jump ring and then the jump ring to the necklace. Close with the pliers.