The best way to start with patterns.
I've never been a pattern kind of sewer, they tend to freak me out most of time so i usually just go with the flow. I've tried a couple of Burda Style patterns, and they are great, but do require patience and some skills. However, i found skirt patterns really easy to make and, best of all, to modificate.
This is the basic pattern, but i encourage you to play with it, it's fun!
I tried to be as clear as possible, if you have questions, please let me know.
- Sue-ann L. added Draw A Skirt Pattern to skirts 30 Aug 06:27
- Alex Poser added Draw A Skirt Pattern to Techniques and Tools 11 Jan 18:39
- Katie H. favorited Draw A Skirt Pattern 16 Oct 18:50
- bonii.thomson favorited Draw A Skirt Pattern 13 Aug 00:09
- sweetstuffbymisty favorited Draw A Skirt Pattern 07 Jul 07:57
IMPORTANT: this pattern is for a regular skirt, that is the one that goes to your waist, but if you want to lower it just replace the "waist meassurment" with the meassure of where you want it to go, the hips one doesnt change.
First, take the following meassures:
* waist heigh (I'm not sure how this is called in English, but it's the distance between the hips and the waist).
* lenght of the skirt (form the waist to the bottom).
Now, you need 2 rectangles with the meassures:
A: lenght of the skirt
B: 1/4 hips
C: waist heigh
Take one of the rectangles, we are going to do the BACK first.
Make this marks:
D: [(1/4 hips)-(1/4 waist)] divided by 3 (mark from the left side).
E: 1/2 between the D point and the right side.
F: [(1/4 hips)-(1/4 waist)] divided by 3 (mark from both sides of the E point.
G: 1/8 hips
Draw this lines, from the previous marks.
Cut the little triangle on the upper left sie and you have the back done. Now, you can open or close the botton of the skirt as you want.
Take the second rectangle you cut before, we are going to make THE FRONT.
Mark 1/4 for the waist meassure, starting from the right side.
Then draw a line like in the picture.
On the right side, mark 1.5 cm from the top.
Then draw a line to the waist mark, like on the picture.
And there you have you front part.
When you cut the fabric, cut on fold on both right rides of the pattern.