Cornbread doesn't have to be a guilty pleasure!
This is based on a famous recipe published in Cook’s Illustrated, called “Blue Ribbon Vegan Cornbread.” I’ve made a few changes to the recipe, namely using a heart-healthy oil, substituting whole-grain flour, reducing the sugar and throwing in some fresh or frozen corn kernels.
- Penny F. added Whole Grain Vegan Cornbread to Baking 11 Oct 15:21
- iscrafte favorited Whole Grain Vegan Cornbread 25 Dec 14:01
- iscrafte added Whole Grain Vegan Cornbread to Om nom nom! 25 Dec 14:01
- gabriella.richbourg added Whole Grain Vegan Cornbread to go vegan! 11 Dec 08:01
- gabriella.richbourg favorited Whole Grain Vegan Cornbread 11 Dec 07:54
- Jenn M. favorited Whole Grain Vegan Cornbread 01 Dec 01:19
- Christine Therese-Anne favorited Whole Grain Vegan Cornbread 19 Nov 03:24
- Paola favorited Whole Grain Vegan Cornbread 18 Nov 14:46
- WhereTheWildThingsAre favorited Whole Grain Vegan Cornbread 14 Nov 15:21
- KelliDroze added Whole Grain Vegan Cornbread to Food 13 Nov 02:50
Heat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray a cast iron skillet with cooking oil spray and place in the oven 5 minutes before you are ready to put the cornbread in.
Vigorously mix the flax and water in a small bowl or mug, and microwave for 30-40 seconds, until thickened. Alternatively, bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan, add the flax and simmer for a few minutes.
Mix together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
In another bowl, mix the flax mixture, soy milk and oil. Add to the dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Add corn kernels, if using.
Pour the batter into the heated cast iron pan. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool slightly before cutting.