Can you shrink acrylic yarn?

I knitted a hat with some acrylic yarn and it turns out my gauge was WAY OFF and now the hat's about 1-2 inches too big everywhere!
Is there any way to shrink acrylic yarn without it melting?

Edit Delete
Moderate: Hide this post
6 replies since 29th January 2013 • Last reply 10th October 2018

I'd suggest putting it through an extra hot wash in a washing machine and then leaving it to hang dry indoors. It should shrink up- the only problem is its hard to tell how much it will shrink!

Edit Delete

From what I've read about acrylics and from my washing experiences, I'd say no. My crocheted projects have not shrunk, but I was a gentle handwasher. And any machine made knits or crochets, they've never shrunk on me, even when I just throw them in the washer and dryer.

Edit Delete

Hand wash it with hot water gently so tht the color won't come off

Edit Delete

I'd say no as well...at least, not much. I made a bag out of acrylic yarn once with a cotton stripe, then washed it...the cotton part shrank a bit, but there didn't seem to be any difference for the acrylic yarn part of the bag.

Edit Delete

The craft and board of the new tinge and technology is implemented for the newcomers. The reign of the king and https://www.essay-to-go.net/ is fixed for the approval of the use of the books or the humans.

Edit Delete

At the point when washed in high temp water, pieces of clothing made of fleece and cotton recoil. In any case, acrylic doesn't. Rather than contracting, the manufactured material really extends when confronting high temperatures! Acrylic is an engineered fiber and won't shrink. pay to write my coursework

Edit Delete