Rich, creamy peanut butter is the base for this surprisingly savory soup, which you are likely to find all across Colonial Williamsburg and in many fine-dining restaurants in Virginia, such as the Regency Room at the Hotel Roanoke.
Makes 8 servings
- Kimya J. favorited Williamsburg Peanut Soup 31 Mar 03:33
- SilverSnake S. favorited Williamsburg Peanut Soup 07 Jun 21:27
- KMOM14 added Williamsburg Peanut Soup to RECIPES TO TRY 10 Apr 07:46
- Mistress Nora of Madness added Williamsburg Peanut Soup to cooking/ daughter 15 Mar 02:13
- GMC Group published her project Williamsburg Peanut Soup 09 Mar 09:00
You Will Need
In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook the celery and onion until the vegetables have softened and are turning translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the butter and continue cooking until the vegetables are translucent, about 5 minutes (do not brown the butter). Add the flour, and stir until blended. Add the chicken broth and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until the soup reduces slightly, about 15 minutes.
Pour the soup through a sieve into a large bowl, pressing hard against the solids with the back of a spoon. Discard the solids, return the liquid to the saucepan, and heat on medium-low. Add the pea- nut butter and cream, and stir constantly until blended. Add the pepper. Heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
To serve, divide the soup among 8 bowls. Garnish with the peanuts and thyme, and serve immediately.