When You Feel Like You’re Not Drawing Well
Some days no matter how much I want to or how hard I try, it feels like my drawing isn’t what I want. Sometimes it seems as these type days go on and on one after another and feelings of defeat set in. Can I really draw? What changed to make it so bad? Those feelings are all too common for me and it can become really frustrating. Over time I’ve learned a few things to help me get through it.
- Hannah C. favorited When You Feel Like You’re Not Drawing Well 20 Feb 18:44
- Mistress Nora of Madness favorited When You Feel Like You’re Not Drawing Well 09 May 23:44
- Kinhime Dragon favorited When You Feel Like You’re Not Drawing Well 02 May 13:21
- Tonya published her project When You Feel Like You’re Not Drawing Well 02 May 09:00
1. Bad days happen
Realize that bad days happen. They happen to everyone, even the most prolific and renowned artists. We just usually don’t see it.
I was really surprised when an artist I follow on Instagram posted a painting (which I thought looked great) saying she felt something was wrong, couldn’t figure it out, and wondered if someone else might know what it was. I was shocked that she has those feelings too!
2. Keep pushing through
When everything seems to look wrong, set aside your inner critic and keep moving forward. The more you create, the more chances something good will come along AND the more you practice, the more you build your skill of drawing.
3. Or take a break
Sometimes instead of pushing through you need to take a break and catch your breath. Do something else you enjoy and when you feel drawing tugging at you go back and try again.
4. Some pieces turn out and some don’t
No matter what you draw or paint there are things that won’t turn out. No one draws every subject perfectly. It happens and it’s ok.
5. I think the bottom line is to accept there are good days and bad days in art and we have to go with the flow and most of all enjoy ourselves.
Is there anything that helps you when it feels like nothing you draw is coming out right?