Wedding Dress Commission
- Barjaa B. added Wedding Dress Painting to DIYS 28 Jun 18:37
- Jacqulene C. favorited Wedding Dress Painting 27 May 12:47
- Crafterella added Wedding Dress Painting to The Corpse Bride 21 Apr 13:20
- WaterAngel favorited Wedding Dress Painting 09 May 00:09
- JudiMcGilvray added Wedding Dress Painting to costumes 19 Jan 16:02
- Zoi MisKina favorited Wedding Dress Painting 12 Oct 12:12
I was asked to paint a wedding dress which turned out quite well so I thought I'd show how I did it on this website. First of all, the dress was taken apart in panels which had an irregular shape. This would be difficult to stretch on a frame so I decided to use the freezer paper method. What you do is iron the silk onto the freezer paper (which can be found in most supermarkets along with the Glad plastic wrap and wax paper. It is not wax paper though and please don't use that!) to stabilize it. Then you can paint on it without having to worry about it shifting (or so they say!)
I tried a small test piece beforehand:
The test piece looked great and the freezer paper idea seemed to work fine so I went ahead and began the actual dress. The actual pieces were much larger than the test piece but with a bit of patience it seemed to be fine. when you are ironing silk onto freezer paper keep the iron moving, use a fairly high setting and test it by pulling on it as you go along to make sure that it's sticking.
After carefully mixing the shades of blue that we agreed on I began the painting. I decided to use Dharma Tradings Pigment Dyes which are great because they don't require any steaming. You can just heat fix if you want with an iron but even that's not necessary. Just let dry for 24 hourse and you're done! These dyes are surprisingly bright and very concentrated.
I began by spraying the silk with water beforehand because I wanted a very soft flowing feel to the painting. By wetting it first the dyes tend to spread more and you can have a subtle gradation of colors. When I did that the freezer paper began to buckle underneath the silk! EEK! I was worried because I really wanted the freezer paper to stabilize the silk. After applying the dye and the water it looked something like this: