Experimental journal made with vinyl and fabric.
I wanted to experiment with using a sewing machine for book binding. I've done it in the past but wanted to see how using slightly textured papers would work. I used 5 sheets of 8.5x11 inch paper and trimmed them down to double the 5 sheets into 10. In total, the journal has 40 pages (10 sheets folded in half to make 20 sheets, then 20 sheets with 2 sides, 40 pages).
I used black leather-look vinyl for the cover and lined it with cotton fabric printed with golden apples. I sewed on a bellyband that ties at the spine. I left all the fabric unfinished so it can fray with use. I really like the look of fraying fabric.
Part of the reason I experimented is because I want to open a new shop full of Discordian odds and ends, and thought some leather journals would be awesome if I could make them look good enough. I plan on making more of these to perfect my technique. I might make the bellyband different on the next one, and will probably trim the overlapping edge into a different shape.
Monika Gottindottir posted this project as a creation without steps
Here are some similar tutorials to help you make this one!