Tastes like vacation
This soup begins with a vegetable base, made hearty and thick with grits, and topped with a few goodies. Yes, it has jalapeños. No, it's not spicy. It is 100% delicious.
- Emmy S. favorited Vegan Tortilla Soup 16 Mar 19:32
- Lauren J. favorited Vegan Tortilla Soup 05 Feb 22:25
- Jenn M. favorited Vegan Tortilla Soup 09 Jan 21:51
- KelliDroze added Vegan Tortilla Soup to Food 18 Dec 19:09
- pon.l.you favorited Vegan Tortilla Soup 03 Dec 21:29
- So favorited Vegan Tortilla Soup 02 Dec 20:28
- Anna S. favorited Vegan Tortilla Soup 02 Dec 16:59
You Will Need
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Slice tortillas into thin strips and spread out on a cookie sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes, tossing occasionally, until beginning to brown. Set aside.
Heat the oil over medium heat, and saute the onion and garlic until soft.
Add the water, bouillon, tomatoes, and three spices and bring to a boil. When boiling, add the jalapeños, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
Turn off the heat and very carefully blend the vegetable base with an immersion blender.
Add the beans, corn, grits, and nutritional yeast. Turn the heat to high, and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Keep soup at a light boil for 5 more minutes, stirring.
Turn off the heat and add the cilantro.
Ladle the soup into bowls and squirt a little lime juice over them. Top with vegan 'cheese', crispy tortilla strips, fresh avocado, and fresh cilantro.