A grinning Tom in your trash
Recently created for my first tutorial for cut out + keep, this is my Trash Cat.
- 2010-11-099521.35.29.jpg 78.8 KB [ Download ]
- Key West Witch favorited Trash Cat 28 Jun 21:26
- RustyFish favorited Trash Cat 27 Feb 13:33
- Laura Gloomy.Panda added Trash Cat to Useful things to make for the house 24 Sep 17:26
- Laura Gloomy.Panda favorited Trash Cat 24 Sep 17:22
- gothicguppy favorited Trash Cat 24 Mar 21:53
- Alex Poser added Trash Cat to Home Decor 10 Jan 22:51
- Natalie E. added Trash Cat to Ideas 29 Sep 03:07
I start out with discarded plastic ornaments, my attic just so happened to be littered with them when squirrels managed to get in there but I digress. I usually brush on a water and school glue solution and apply small squares of tissue paper, once dry it gives the clay something to hold onto but I chose to skip it for the purposes of the tutorial.
I decided early on that I wanted to make a cat so I drilled two small holes and pushed a pair of Cat style doll eyes, but I have in the past used buttons, marbles, eyes cast in resin. A slightly pricier option would be to buy glass eyes from taxidermy sites but pay close attention to the size often listed in millimeters so its probably a good idea to chose eyes from small species animals since the eyes are the approximate size of the animal in question.
Next is a small amount of air drying clay, I don't generally map out an idea for my projects. I do a quick image search on a search engine and base my ideas loosely on what I see. Here I used terracotta colored clay, no reason but I will say I prefer the white clay because its easier to paint. My local craft store just ran out of the white.
I glued his head to a body made of a small bottle, covered it in the same way I did his head. I glued that into a can and added hands made of old glove fingers, I also added pieces of foil, plastic, foam and other assorted items that would look like trash but not smell. Now he's ready to sit on your shelf.
thank you for your tute and the sharing.:-D