Learn how-to stitch Toe Up Socks with Wet Coast Wools
By Bernadette McLaughlin
- 114645_2F2016-07-06-112654-Toe+Up+Afterthought+Heel+Sock+Pattern.pdf 240 KB [ Download ]
- Isabel H. added Toe Up Socks With An Afterthought Heel to 90s Art Girl Look 17 Sep 21:15
- RareJewel favorited Toe Up Socks With An Afterthought Heel 10 Feb 09:55
- Chudames favorited Toe Up Socks With An Afterthought Heel 27 Sep 03:40
- Mildred H. favorited Toe Up Socks With An Afterthought Heel 10 Sep 09:45
- Alissa B. favorited Toe Up Socks With An Afterthought Heel 17 Jul 07:14
- Shop Showcase published her project Toe Up Socks With An Afterthought Heel 15 Jul 09:00
Using Judy’s Magic Cast On cast on 1 6 (8/needle)[ ( 20 (10/needle), 24 (12/needle),2 8 (14/needle),3 2 (16/needle)] stitches. Knit one plain row before beginning increases. Round 1: *KFB into the first stitch, knit to second last stitch, KFB knit 1* repeat for second needle. this round increases your stitch count by 4.
Round 2: Knit all stitches.
Repeat these 2 rounds until you have 4 8 (24/needle) ( 5 6 (28/needle), 64(32/needle), 7 2 (36/needle) , 8 0 (40/needle)) stitches or until you have enough stitches to reach snuggly around your foot.
Here is a link to a Knitty tutorial of the Judy’s Magic Cast On if you need a reminder: http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring06/FEATmagiccaston.html.
Continue knitting all stitches on both needles until you reach 7 ( 8 , 9 , 7 .5, 8 .5) inches or until you reach your foot length minus the heel (which is about 2 inches).
We will now knit waste yarn into the sock so we can come back after the sock is finished to knit the heel. Knit across the 2 4( 2 8, 3 2, 3 6, 40) stitches on needle one with working yarn. On needle two knit the 2 4( 2 8, 3 2, 3 6, 4 0) stitches with waste yarn.When you reach the end of the second needle drop waste yarn and pull the working needle through so you are back at the beginning of the row. Now knit back across with 2 4( 28, 3 2, 3 6, 4 0) stitches on needle 2 with your working yarn.
Continue knitting every row until the leg reaches the same length as the foot [7 ( 8 , 9 , 7 .5, 8 .5) inches] or until desired.
Knit in ribbing of choice for 12 inches. Ribbing options/ideas:
K1P1 K2P2 K1P2
Bind off using Jeny’s Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off.
Here’s a helpful reminder link to Knitty’s Tutorial: http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall09/FEATjssbo.php.
With needle 1 pick up 2 4( 2 8, 3 2, 3 6, 4 0) stitches on the top of the waste yarn. With needle 2 pick up 2 4( 2 8, 3 2, 3 6, 4 0) stitches underneath the waste yarn.
Using a spare needle or darning needle remove waste yarn. This should leave you with 48( 5 6, 6 4, 7 2, 8 0) stitches on the needles.
Knit one round picking up one stitch at the beginning and the end of each needle increasing your stitch total to 5 2( 6 0, 6 8, 7 6, 8 4) .
Knit 3 plain rounds. Round 1: Knit
Round 2: *K2TBL, knit to last two stitches, k2tog* repeat to end of round. 4 8( 56, 6 4, 7 2, 8 0) Repeat these two rounds until you have 1 6 (8/needle)[ 2 0 (10/needle), 24 (12/needle),2 8
(14/needle),3 2 (16/needle)] stitches.
Break yarn leaving a long tail (at least 23 inches) and use kitchener stitch to graft the heel
Weave in ends and enjoy :)
Pattern Tricks, Tips and Translations
❖ 1 round = 2 needles
❖ Pull a little on the 1st stitch of the round to reduce laddering on the side of your socks
❖ K2TBL= Knit 2 together through the back loop. It can be substituted for an SSK but I
prefer this way.
❖ KITCHENER STITCH INSTRUCTIONS
1. Leave a tail length equal to the amount that you would normally use to complete
2. Hold the needles parallel, wrong sides together, and thread the tail onto a
3. Keep the work loose, try to match the tension of the stitches, but it is easier to
tighten it up later than to loosen it.
4. Using the tapestry needle, go into the stitch on the front needle as if to purl, draw
the thread all of the way through. Leave the stitch on the needle.
5. Go into the stitch on the back needle as if to knit, leave the stitch on the needle.
6. *Go into the stitch on the front needle as if to knit, take it off the needle.
7. Go into the next stitch on the front needle as if to purl, leave it on the needle.
8. Go into the stitch on the back needle as if to purl, take it off.
9. Go into the next stitch on the back needle as if to knit, leave it on the needle. *
10. Repeat steps between * and * until all stitches are off of the needles. If the
stitches are too loose, put a darning egg under the work and tighten to match surrounding stitches. Bring tail to the inside and fasten off.
❖ Kitchener Stitch Rhyme:
PURL FRONT OFF — purl first st on front needle, drop st off KNIT FRONT ON — knit next st on front needle, leave st on KNIT BACK OFF — knit first st on back needle, drop st off PURL BACK ON — purl next st on back needle, leave st on
❖ When picking up stitches for the heel, don’t pick up stitches on the first column of stitches, pick up from the right leg of second column stitches to prevent a gap.