A cute way to commemorate your first Xmas together!
Being a former CSI, I know the importance of a fingerprint. I loved the idea of creating a keepsake ornament, and what easier way to personalize than with your own loops and whorls (not spelled wrong, I promise).
- rockinrubysalonandmassage favorited Thumbprint Ornament 01 Feb 19:22
- Lorraine E. added Thumbprint Ornament to Vintage gift s 18 Dec 21:59
- Zombicology favorited Thumbprint Ornament 13 Dec 22:02
- Natalie S. favorited Thumbprint Ornament 11 Dec 21:32
- StringNinja favorited Thumbprint Ornament 10 Dec 09:26
- Megan M. favorited Thumbprint Ornament 09 Dec 20:43
- Melinda K. commented on Thumbprint Ornament 09 Dec 17:04
Roll out 1/3 of a brick of the Sculpey clay color of your choice. Lighter colors are better. I used a shot glass to roll out my clay; you could get fancy and use an actual rolling pin. Thickness is your prerogative, I'd say about 1/2".
Using a cookie cutter, cut out the shape(s) you wish your ornament(s) to be. Carefully separate the excess clay from around your shape.
Using the toothpick, poke a hole through the top of your shape. This will be where your string/ribbon/whatever goes through for hanging.
Here's the fun part: have your loved one press their thumb firmly into the clay at a slight diagonal. Then, overlap your own thumbprint at the base and press firmly at an opposite diagonal angle, creating a heart shape.
Bake your ornament on a cookie sheet based on the instructions on the clay (approx. 30 min.) Allow to cool completely.
Using a small amount of watered-down black acrylic paint on your fingertip, rub the ridges of your fingerprints. Wipe off the excess with a towel. This makes the ridges appear more defined (so you can actually see it's a fingerprint). Allow to dry.
String a ribbon/string/whatever through the hole in the top of your ornament, and hang proudly! These could also be cute for wedding favors/tags or as gifts!