Not too sweet, just right!
This is a great spring/summer pie. The crust is baked ahead and really holds up to juicy fillings. This is a good crust for pudding pies as well.
- TARA R. added The Best Strawberry Pie to food 04 Jan 00:51
- Lejka B. added The Best Strawberry Pie to Everything 07 May 18:04
- Millie H. added The Best Strawberry Pie to Dessert 20 Mar 22:35
- HylianWriter534 favorited The Best Strawberry Pie 15 Feb 04:01
- Katrin G. added The Best Strawberry Pie to yummi 13 Feb 20:10
- StephyyGore favorited The Best Strawberry Pie 20 Jan 19:56
- Jenn M. favorited The Best Strawberry Pie 08 Jan 20:57
- ErinAchelois favorited The Best Strawberry Pie 29 Jun 06:39
This pie has just the right amount of sweetness. Here is the recipe.
Hot water crust
Put 1/2 cup of shortening in a bowl and pour 1/4 boiling water over it. Stir until smooth and creamy. Then sift 1 1/2 cups of flour with 1 tsp of salt and 1 tsp of baking powder. Stir this into the shortening until it forms a ball. Chill for 1/2 an hour. Roll out the dough and fit into a 10" pie pan. Prick it all over and bake at 500* for 6-8 minutes. This crust holds up well to wet pies.
Sort 3 pints of strawberries, clean and trim. Place one pint of imperfect berries in a saucepan with 1/2 cup of water and boil for 3-4 minutes. Mix 1 cup of sugar with 3 tbs. of cornstarch and add to the berries, stirring constantly, until the glaze is clear and thick, about 3 minutes. allow to cool a bit. Arrange the other berries in the crust and pour the lukewarm syrup over, coating each berry. Chill and serve with whipped cream. Yummy!