making use of a t-shirt that didn't fit me.
this was an unworn t-shirt that i had cut the sleeves of for another project. i was wondering what to do with it and decided to have a bash at making a tote. :)
- Amber L. favorited T Shirt > Tote Bag 02 Apr 01:57
- lisa a. favorited T Shirt > Tote Bag 28 Jun 18:16
- Kaldra M. favorited T Shirt > Tote Bag 06 Jun 06:14
- jeniffer c. favorited T Shirt > Tote Bag 26 Apr 22:50
- sajah k. favorited T Shirt > Tote Bag 23 Apr 18:56
- Katt added T Shirt > Tote Bag to Random 16 Apr 23:17
- Summer O. favorited T Shirt > Tote Bag 15 Apr 18:39
- Ravens Trove favorited T Shirt > Tote Bag 10 Apr 02:28
- dunnjen2012 added T Shirt > Tote Bag to totes 03 Apr 13:43
- dunnjen2012 favorited T Shirt > Tote Bag 03 Apr 13:43
(possibly see step 4 first?) I then marked out the width I wanted for the bag using the pencil and ruler. I marked a long line down either side, pinned down the line and turned it inside out to check it was the size i wanted, then moved the pins a few cm and sewed down the line using my sewing machine. I used a small zig-zag stitch and went down both sides twice.
Then I took the 10cm piece from the bottom of the shirt in step 1 and cut down what would have been a tshirt side so it so it was one long strip. I then folded that strip in half and cut it into two long strips. (sorry I didn't take a photo of this)
I pinned these to the the inside of the bag. I took the first strip, pinned it to the back of the bag roughly 2inches from either side, and copied this for the strip on the front. I then tested to make sure the length was OK when it was over my shoulder, and that both straps were the same length. Once it looked right, I stitch each of the four strip ends along the hem from step 4. I went over them 3 times to make sure it was strong enough to take a fair weight.