It reminds me of a bonsai tree, but it is only a houseplant
So I decided to make a sweet potato into a nice houseplant. It is an interesting looking plant because of the potato in the container, but it makes me think of a bonsai the way I keep it trimmed up.
- Linda C. commented on Sweet Potato Plant 22 Oct 15:45
- Lorrie B. added Sweet Potato Plant to home dec 13 Apr 21:15
- Lauren J. favorited Sweet Potato Plant 05 Feb 23:15
- Hester A. favorited Sweet Potato Plant 16 Jan 22:39
- Mimi A. favorited Sweet Potato Plant 11 Jan 15:13
- kathie.warren favorited Sweet Potato Plant 26 Aug 00:21
I started with a rather long look through the sweet potatoes at my local grocery store to find one I liked.
When I got home I tested out different size jars to fit my potato in. I liked having it just set in the mouth of the jar without toothpicks to support it.
Fill the jar with water and set it in a sunny window. Make sure to change the water once a week! otherwise you're potato might get moldy or rot. D:
The good thing about changing the water once a week is you can check for roots when you change the water.
Once the roots start to form, transplant the potato into a nice container and fill with soil.
Once in the container with soil, make sure to keep the potato well watered and in the sun to help form roots.
Soon your potato will form little shoots on it, and these shoots will grow exponentially!
If your like to groom plants, this is an easy one to groom without the plant being affected. Mine looks like a tree, sort of :P