with colorful decoupage lamp base. :D
so, this isnt exactly an original idea of mine. i was inspired by the drinking straw starbusrt hanging light fixture by mark montano on this site and went looking for something similar and i found this lampshade on another DIY website and decided i NEEDED to make/have it! :) it was more of a challenge than i thought it was gonna be. it took me a couple days to get it done, working a few hours at a time. the decoupage on the lamp base was a piece of cake, though. haha :) i love the end result, though and would love to see your version!
- James A. commented on Sweet Bendy Straw Lamp 11 Aug 09:43
- Esteph H. commented on Sweet Bendy Straw Lamp 13 Jul 07:05
- Esteph H. favorited Sweet Bendy Straw Lamp 13 Jul 07:05
- Georgia favorited Sweet Bendy Straw Lamp 30 Jan 16:16
- Karen D. favorited Sweet Bendy Straw Lamp 06 Oct 01:11
- Jessica N. favorited Sweet Bendy Straw Lamp 18 Mar 19:21
- scarlett b. favorited Sweet Bendy Straw Lamp 09 Feb 19:34
- erin s. favorited Sweet Bendy Straw Lamp 16 Dec 01:55
- Annemarie B. favorited Sweet Bendy Straw Lamp 30 Nov 13:32
- Anna Bean favorited Sweet Bendy Straw Lamp 18 Sep 05:09
take your old lamp shade and remove the boring fabric, leaving just the ring frame.
using the wire cutters, cut off the excess hardware cloth at the end of the top lamp shade ring. you then can decide how long you want your lamp to be and cut the wire off at that point. note: the longer the shade, the more straws you'll need.
wire the loose ends of the hardware cloth together, again using the wire the cloth came wrapped in and you have your straw lamp shade skeleton!
after all your straws are halved, it's time to start attaching them to your shade. starting from the inside of the shade, fold each straw half in half and wrap around the hardware cloth. do this FOUR TIMES for EACH 1/2 inch opening. at times it may seem totally impossible. not gonna lie. but it's possible. sometimes it needs a little bit of elbow grease to jam them in there, especially when you're getting closer to getting finished.
now it's time to light it up. :) do this however you wanna. set a candle night light underneath and make it a table lamp. invest in a pendant light kit and hang it from your ceiling. i decided to attach mine to the old lamp the shade came on and added a little more color to make it a table lamp. get creative here. :) enjoy!