Appliqued Cape- Every kid on the playground will know his name...
I whipped together this cute little cape for a friend's 1st birthday. it even does double duty as a bib!
the pattern is pretty basic, but i changed to ribbon ties instead of velcro tabs (room to grow into!). unfortunately, i didn't get new pics before i gifted it.
if you convert to ribbon ties, use caution to avoid choking risk for small babies.
- Rebecca B. favorited Super Baby Cape! 20 Jul 12:25
- Monika Gottindottir added Super Baby Cape! to The Spoiling Auntie 21 Apr 01:23
- umm Ayoub added Super Baby Cape! to craft 01 Oct 17:23
- kage j. entered her project Super Baby Cape! to Crop-A-Dile 09 Jul 16:01
- kage j. entered her project Super Baby Cape! to Hats On Heads 06 Jun 18:37
- Nariamma S. favorited Super Baby Cape! 09 Jul 10:22
- kage j. entered her project Super Baby Cape! to Cath Kidston's Sew! Contest 24 Oct 17:41
3) lightly glue the letters (or logo) to the right side of one of the cape pieces (i laid them out first and marked placement w/ chalk). best to use a solid or a fine print background (otherwise, your applique gets lost).
you can also use fusible interfacing to adhese the logo, but be careful ironing- acrylic felt can melt and ruin your iron, if not your cape!
5) if using velcro, attach to the cape tabs now. the other option is to adjust the pattern and attach ribbon where the tabs are- ribbon gives it more size flexibility.
6) sew cape pieces together (right sides facing), starting inside the neckline and leaving appro 1/2 inch seam allowance. leave 5cm open.
7) turn right sides out, press open then top stitch some or all of the edge closed. you can also hand stitch the 5cm gap closed.
8) press the edges flat and viola! super baby!