Fashion For the Dangerous People. ;)
I've had these old boring sunglasses for a long time, so i decided to PUNK THEM OUT to more fit my taste. YEAH!
All you need is cheap plastic sunglasses (mine were actually free from my brothers ex O.O ), pyramid studs (also free from an old belt), hot glue, & scrap felt. You also need these Cone-Shaped Beads (found at Walmart in Jewelry Section)... they look just like spikes!! I think theyre used on bracelets and necklaces, because theres a hole on the tip. Since theyre hollow and flat on the point, they wont make your glasses heavy or poke you like real spikes would! (Its amazing! I had a lightbulb moment when i found them. lol)
You can add as many studs or spikes as you want, and add them anywhere flat on your glasses. So create your own look! (Go 'Gaga' if u want.)
- Rachael B. added Spikes & Studs Sunglasses to DIY The Look-Rachael 16 Apr 04:22
- Rachael B. favorited Spikes & Studs Sunglasses 16 Apr 04:22
- Stitches added Spikes & Studs Sunglasses to Punk 30 Jan 01:36
- paulinecobainkuran favorited Spikes & Studs Sunglasses 26 Jun 02:15
- Beautasha favorited Spikes & Studs Sunglasses 16 Jan 20:34
- sara k. favorited Spikes & Studs Sunglasses 12 Jan 07:14
- DarkAshHurts commented on her project Spikes & Studs Sunglasses 14 Oct 18:01
- destinytlong favorited Spikes & Studs Sunglasses 03 Aug 20:44
- Devious_Insightful_Pixie favorited Spikes & Studs Sunglasses 29 Jun 05:38
First you have to prepare all your studs and spikes for application, by covering their backs with felt.
This will give them GRIP, so they will stick AND STAY on your glasses.
(Because if you just glue them on ...theyll come right back off. I know, i tried).
<--- Picture shows some Finished covered spikes.
Heres the easiest/strongest way i found to do this .....
TO PREPARE STUDS:
+ First, take your stud and stick its 'legs' into a piece of felt.
+ Then carefully (on the sides of the stud without legs) pull the felt up and sandwich some glue inside (between felt and stud), & on the silver edge also. Hold edges down to dry.
+ Once dry, you can push the 'legs' in flat with pliers.
+ Cut the stud off the felt, as close to the stud as possible. Trim edges.
<--- It should look like picture when finished. :)
*Try to do this as clean as possible. When done, Lay the prepared stud on a flat surface. If it doesnt lie completely flat, you might have to push the legs in more at the edge.*
(i hope this all made sense. :D )
TO PREPARE 'SPIKES':
(Dont worry. These are much easier!)
+ Put very little glue inside the cone, then quickly stuff it with small piece scrap felt (a pencil helps).
+ Then cover that whole end with a good glob of glue (spreading it onto the silver rim as well) ....then quickly stick it onto a sheet of felt laying on a flat surface. Press down until dry.
+ Cut it off felt as close to the rim as possible, trim edge, and your done!
<--- Picture kinda shows process: Spike glued to felt (before cutting) - spike when stuffed -finished spike.
APPLYING TO GLASSES:
+ Plan out where you want the studs/spikes to go.
+ Trace around the stud onto your glasses with a pencil if u want. It really helps.
+ Then using the tip of sharp scissors, firmly scrape ONLY the area where the stud will go. Do this in criss-cross directions until the area feels real rough. (Doing this gives the glasses Grip also).
Try to scrape ONLY the size of stud, or the scratches will show on your glasses later.
Model your bitchin' new glasses. ;)
(TIPS: - Tracing the stud/spike onto the glasses with a pencil helps greatly with the scraping and gluing.
- Practice holding the studs/spikes on the glasses beforehand. The spikes can be hard to not wobble. You really get 1 chance to glue it on cuz theyre hard to get back off, so practice!
- Hide any exposed glue or scratches on your glasses by coloring it with a Black Sharpie marker. It really works!
- Take Your Time. lol)
BUY SUPER GLUE instead!
Sid's my homeboy. ;)