Patisserie at Home
In the autumn there is nothing better than a slice of spicy, dense ginger cake and a cup of tea. This is a really warming cake that works just as well with chopped candied chestnuts in place of the ginger towards the end of the year. I use preserved ginger and honey in mine as well as a medley of spices to lift the humble cake to new heights. You will find something similar in French homes called ‘pain d’épices’. Delicious!
3 tablespoons apricot jam
- Kimya J. favorited Spiced Ginger And Honey Cake 15 Jun 21:43
- Diane T. favorited Spiced Ginger And Honey Cake 31 Aug 20:53
- abigail.ponchillia favorited Spiced Ginger And Honey Cake 17 Jan 22:05
- Shantelle t. added Spiced Ginger And Honey Cake to food!! 08 Dec 13:22
- Madeleine favorited Spiced Ginger And Honey Cake 22 Jul 21:31
- Kaiulani W. favorited Spiced Ginger And Honey Cake 10 Jul 00:49
- jade.owen.338 added Spiced Ginger And Honey Cake to Cakes 27 Jun 18:50
- Angel C. favorited Spiced Ginger And Honey Cake 26 Jun 02:06
You Will Need
Preheat the oven to 160˚C (325˚F) Gas 3.
Put the butter, sugar, syrup, honey, treacle and orange zest in a saucepan over medium heat and cook until melted. Stir well, then remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly while you continue with the recipe.
Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the ground ginger, mixed spice, cinnamon, star anise and cloves and two-thirds of the chopped ginger. Mix together.
Add the cooled melted mixture, followed by the eggs and milk. Mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon.
Spoon the mixture into the prepared loaf pan and bake in the preheated oven for about 1 hour. The cake should be risen and deep golden brown.
For the glaze
Put the jam, 2 tablespoons of the reserved ginger syrup, the honey and remaining chopped preserved ginger in a saucepan over low heat. Heat gently until it starts to bubble. Set aside until the cake has baked. It can be warmed up later if necessary.
Remove the baked cake from the oven, carefully tip it out of the pan and set it on a wire rack. Pour the hot glaze over it and serve warm.