This simple style can be the basis for a lot of beautiful block hats.
Here, the seam is in the front, but wearing the seams on the side of the hat would also work.
Adult size Small/Medium (Large)
• Approximately 20" (51cm) ?(21" [53.5cm]) diameter
• 20 stitches and 20 rows = 4" (10cm) in Fair Isle pattern on size U.S. 8 (5mm) needles
• 18 stitches and 18 rows = 4" (10cm) in Fair Isle pattern on size U.S. 9 (5mm) needles
TAKE TIME TO CHECK GAUGE.
- shawnee64 favorited Snowflake Splendor Hat 21 Nov 14:34
- srslyjc favorited Snowflake Splendor Hat 19 Jul 20:04
- Kriszta I. favorited Snowflake Splendor Hat 07 Feb 07:11
- TwinkleTime favorited Snowflake Splendor Hat 22 Oct 14:45
- zoegirl221 added Snowflake Splendor Hat to accesories 16 Sep 00:42
- Alecia B. favorited Snowflake Splendor Hat 01 Aug 15:42
- Laura D. favorited Snowflake Splendor Hat 02 Jul 23:37
- Jeanette R. favorited Snowflake Splendor Hat 18 Jun 04:10
- Lisa K. favorited Snowflake Splendor Hat 19 May 20:49
- Ella Light added Snowflake Splendor Hat to Knitting 04 Apr 13:16
You Will Need
Blocks (make 2)
With size U.S. 8 (9)/5 (5.5mm) straight needles, make two Snowflake blocks (see page 81).
With B and a crochet hook, work a row of slip st around the side and top edges leaving bottom edge open.
With B and double-pointed needles, cast on 4 stitches. Work in I-cord (see page 238) for 4" (10cm).
Change to A and work in I-cord for 18" (45.5cm) more. Bind off.
Make 3 knots at the A end of each cord. Sew the B end of each cord to the center of each block.
Note The centers of the blocks form the sides of the hat.
Tack the top corners of the hat together.
With A, cast on 8 stitches leaving a long tail for seaming.
Row 1 (RS) Kf&b of every st (16 stitches).
Row 2 and all WS rows Purl.
Rows 3, 5, 7 and 9 Knit.
Row 11 *K2tog; repeat from * to end ?(8 stitches).
Pass all the stitches, one at a time, over the first st. Fasten off. Thread the cast-on tail through the cast-on stitches, gather and secure. Stuff with polyfil, sew the side seam and attach the ball to the top of the hat.