The best, most popular toy I have ever designed. Beanie snakes. I'm not kidding.
Years ago I made a book weight – a simple tube of fabric filled with heavy metal pellets. It was designed to hold a book open, but my daughter immediately saw it as a toy. She played with it all the time so I finally made one just for her – bright and colorful, with button eyes and a forked tongue, and filled with plastic pellets instead of expensive (and probably lead-filled) metal shot. She still has that original snake. And she still plays with him all the time. Her response when I asked her about him was, “Well, you never know when you’re going to need a snake.” How true.
She helped me make some modifications to the original design. The seams are on the inside now “to make him more smooth and snakelike.” The tongue is made of ribbon so it’s less likely to tear away. I asked her about rounding the head and tail to make him (somewhat) more realistic and got a resounding thumbs down. Okay then. Square-headed snake it is.
And so I bring you the new and improved Snake Charmers. These are quick and easy to stitch up, small enough to fit in a pocket, and have a pleasing drapability (if you don’t fill them too full). They’re a good size to interact with action figures and all kinds of dolls. They’re surprisingly versatile little guys who make their way into all kinds of situations. I hope you enjoy them!
Do make more than one. When I told Jo she could have all the samples I made her response was, “Cool! Now I can have an invading horde attack my American Girl dolls.”
hese silly snakes are sssuper easy to make - and lotsss of fun to play with!
Materials you'll need for each snake:
• scraps of fabric - I use different prints for the top and the belly • two small buttons (1/4 - 3/8 inch)
• scrap of red ribbon (1/4 or 3/8 inch wide)
• small pellets for stuffing (lentils, rice or plastic pellets)
• sewing machine
• basic sewing tools
- alexa v. favorited Snake Charmers 30 Jul 21:13
- Jenna C. added Snake Charmers to Crafts 11 Dec 00:59
- kimberly.hodges.5059 favorited Snake Charmers 06 Dec 14:09
- Jenna C. commented on Snake Charmers 04 Dec 22:10
- Witchy favorited Snake Charmers 23 Nov 01:32
- sarah.voorhees267 favorited Snake Charmers 11 Nov 17:36
- Maemi.Gojo added Snake Charmers to Plushies 11 Nov 14:25
- HylianWriter534 favorited Snake Charmers 09 Nov 19:03
- iscrafte added Snake Charmers to To do 09 Nov 09:32
- iscrafte favorited Snake Charmers 09 Nov 09:32
Cut two rectangles of fabric, each 2 inches x 9 inches.