Bake some King Cake Cupcakes with Short Street Cakes in Asheville, North Carolina
Makes 15 cupcakes
- liza.minelli.564 favorited Short Street Cakes King Cake Cupcakes 02 Feb 01:14
- Rebecca M. favorited Short Street Cakes King Cake Cupcakes 10 Jun 17:54
- Diabolic Cupcake favorited Short Street Cakes King Cake Cupcakes 23 May 06:29
- Moira A. added Short Street Cakes King Cake Cupcakes to biscuits & cakes 23 May 06:22
- Moira A. favorited Short Street Cakes King Cake Cupcakes 23 May 06:22
- Emma H. favorited Short Street Cakes King Cake Cupcakes 18 May 20:30
- A Bite To Eat published her project Short Street Cakes King Cake Cupcakes 17 May 09:00
You Will Need
Combine the first three ingredients in a bowl. Whisk until yeast and sugar are completely dissolved, then let rest until the yeast is foamy, bubbly, and active, about 5 to 10 minutes. Combine flour, salt, sugar/yeast mixture, nutmeg, and lemon zest in the bowl of a mixer.
Fit mixer with dough hook attachment, turn on low speed, and add milk, egg yolks, and melted butter, a little at a time, until all ingredients are combined; continue mixing on low about 10 minutes.
At this time, if the dough has not formed a sticky ball in the bowl, add 1 tablespoon of flour at a time, no more than ½ cup total. Scrape down sides and bottom of mixer and let mix again for another 10 minutes. Turn onto oiled surface and knead by hand into tidy little ball, 5 minutes or so. Place dough in oiled bowl, cover, and let rise until it doubles in size, about 1 to 2 hours. Stretch and roll your dough into a long rectangle. Combine filling ingredients and spread mixture onto the surface of the rectangle. Roll dough into a roulade and slice into 15 medallions. Place medallions flat side down in lined cupcake tins. Cover, set aside. Let rise again until double. Bake at 325 for 10 to 15 minutes, or until deep golden brown.
Combine icing ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix until it achieves desired consistency (adjust with more liquid or more powdered sugar if necessary).
Glaze after the cupcakes are cool, making sure to hide a baby trinket or charm inside one of the cupcakes before icing. Decorate with Mardi Gras Beads or yellow, purple, and green sprinkles.