Sew a handbag with a rope handle
Seam allowance: 1/2”
- archana l. favorited Rope Handbag 03 Feb 07:44
- Blanca G. favorited Rope Handbag 05 Sep 04:42
- Lady Jay favorited Rope Handbag 30 Jun 05:22
- forbunnie favorited Rope Handbag 10 Mar 14:25
- Xx13.CrowsxX added Rope Handbag to Idea 11 Jun 12:05
- Melissa P. favorited Rope Handbag 05 Jan 04:37
- Aishwarya Purohit favorited Rope Handbag 22 Nov 05:07
- Kim.Marie favorited Rope Handbag 13 Aug 04:18
- susan.adkins.90 favorited Rope Handbag 08 Apr 01:51
- susan.adkins.90 added Rope Handbag to dress 07 Apr 14:31
Pin lining fabric together, right sides facing, and stitch along the outside, stopping 6“ from the top. Leave a 5” opening in the bottom (for turning the bag right sides out in a later step). See fig. B. Repeat with the outer fabric pieces, but do not leave an opening in the bottom of the outer bag. Press all seams open.
Pull the bag right sides out through the opening in the lining. Press and topstitch along the opening. Push the lining into the bag and press along the top.
With one 30” each piece of rope, hold the ends together to form a loop. Baste the ends together with a hand sewing needle and thread. Wrap the masking tape around the ends to secure them. Alternately, you could use metal clamps to secure the ends. Repeat with the other piece of rope.
Fold over the top edge of one side of the bag by about 2”onto a rope handle and use a couple of pins to secure it. Begin hand sewing the lining to itself using a ladder stitch. Continue pinning and sewing until you have reached the end. Repeat with the other rope handle on the opposite side of the bag. If you used tape to secure the rope, you will want to stitch the taped portion to the bag to secure it in place where it is not showing.