What can you get out of a bra and a maternity dress? Well...
Since my son was born I have been looking everywhere for a cute bathing suit, or tankini that will discretely hide the new-mommy belly I still have and support the new-mommy boobs that don't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon. There are tons of retro suits that match this description...however none of them met my new-mommy budget. Since I'm generally not inclined to theft I did what I almost always do in these situations. I turned to my beautiful, very old, but still running sewing machine, Mercedes.
- Pimke added Retrp Swimsuit Refashion to Upcycling 27 Jan 09:09
- Nicole B. added Retrp Swimsuit Refashion to i need to make this! 11 Jun 16:54
- Krista B. commented on Retrp Swimsuit Refashion 07 Mar 16:27
- Krista B. favorited Retrp Swimsuit Refashion 07 Mar 16:27
- midnighthime666 favorited Retrp Swimsuit Refashion 01 Mar 16:12
- ZenPinkBunny favorited Retrp Swimsuit Refashion 12 Feb 02:12
- HouseKat favorited Retrp Swimsuit Refashion 18 Jan 21:06
- Jynx favorited Retrp Swimsuit Refashion 11 Jan 00:33
- It's only Me. replied to a comment on Retrp Swimsuit Refashion 10 Jan 06:57
- Mikelina S. replied to a comment on her project Retrp Swimsuit Refashion 10 Jan 02:40
First step is to gather the raw ingredients. In this case an old maternity dress and an ill fitting bra.
Note: Make sure the material of your to-refashion garment is not cotton jersey, as it is easily waterlogged and can become heavy and shapeless. Ideally bathing suits would be made out of lycra but this polyeter/viscose combination has worked well for me.
Cut the bottom of the swimsuit off so that it measures from your hips (as high or low as you want it) to just below your bust. I also took it in so it fight tighter. Loose fabric in water is not so good unless your filming an overly-romantic scene in movie. In which case maybe just wrap a flowy white sheet around yourself?
I sewed the two halves of the cups down the middle with zig zag stitch then pinned them around the outside of the bra cup and folded the hem in so that it looked clean from both sides. I ended up sewing this piece by hand. The thought of trying to manipulate a bra in that tiny space under the presser foot was daunting. Plus I can hand sew an invisible stitch pretty well, little pat on my back (my hand sewing used to be atrocious).
And for that final touch I sewed a tightly stretched piece of elastic up on side and sewed two long ties just underneath so that it looked like it was gathered but without the danger of unpleasant ungathering.
Oh, and we'll need some straps.
And, one more touch...
I used scraps to make a cute little bow to go across the bust because everything (almost) is better with bows!