Thick and velvety sponge, sweetly iced
This is my take on a red velvet cake, enjoy!
- mmotse03 favorited Red Velvet Three Layer Cake 30 Jan 10:11
- Kenny the kitty favorited Red Velvet Three Layer Cake 22 May 17:45
- jessica.boulanger.10 added Red Velvet Three Layer Cake to foods 26 Jan 01:47
- luisana v. favorited Red Velvet Three Layer Cake 23 Oct 20:16
- Sam Goth Winchester favorited Red Velvet Three Layer Cake 28 Aug 20:43
- Carrie K. entered her project Red Velvet Three Layer Cake to The Deli Garage 20 Jun 12:29
Preheat oven to 150 (gas mark 2).
You will need:
3 bags of chocolate sponge mix (400g each)
12 tbsp Buttermilk (I needed 2 cartons of St Ivel Buttermilk)
Red food colouring
Black food colouring
1-2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tub vanilla flavoured buttercream icing
500g ready fondant icing
Icing sugar to dust
Preferably use a cake board or flat plate to piece your cake together. Here I'm using the base of a cake storer thingy, which isn't ideal for presentation or helpful while icing/decorating. Use what you have ^_^
Wait until all of your cake layers are completely cool and then spread on the butter icing. Work layer by layer.
... Which is to cover the cake in fondant icing.Rolling was a messy process, but be prepared and patient and you should get a good result.
My tips are:
1) Have plenty of icing sugar to dust the surface and rolling pin, this prevents the icing from sticking.
2) Roll outward, rotate often.
3) Be 100% sure you have rolled the icing big enough to cover your cake before you pick it up.
4) Use a pallet knife to free the icing from your surface before picking it up.
5) Transfer onto your cake with a rolling pin, be careful but work quickly.
I wish I had taken more photos of decorating my cake for you, but it was a very sticky process.
I used a Silverspoon designer icing tube for the red edging and a heart shaped cookie cutter for the icing hearts. I coloured the icing for the hearts with food dye, just add a couple of drops at a time.
It's a really simple design but I think the symmetry works.