Yummie DIY chocolatey goodness- makes great gifts!
love this stuff, and love to make it for quick/ easy gifts- it looks so pretty when done, and is very addictive once tasted!
i use trader joe's big blocks of milk chocolate, and white choc chips, but any brand will do. melting chocolate in the microwave makes this 'recipe' SUPER easy. i crush ~ 8 of the mini candy canes to a fine powder (to mix in with the chocolate), but the last 4 should be crushed to small chunks to decorate the top of the finished candy.
sorry for no pics of the process, but it's so simple, it seemed silly to bother.
- Violet B. added Quick & Easy Peppermint Bark! to try later 15 Mar 21:09
- Maxine M. added Quick & Easy Peppermint Bark! to To-make list 11 Apr 06:40
- Phoenix M. favorited Quick & Easy Peppermint Bark! 15 Mar 19:13
- Shantelle t. added Quick & Easy Peppermint Bark! to something i'd like to try 02 Oct 01:34
- kage j. entered her project Quick & Easy Peppermint Bark! to Image3D 25 May 07:54
- Tam R. favorited Quick & Easy Peppermint Bark! 21 Apr 05:50
- trottalott favorited Quick & Easy Peppermint Bark! 06 Mar 21:57
- jessica.boulanger.10 added Quick & Easy Peppermint Bark! to foods 26 Jan 00:07
- Gelidpetals favorited Quick & Easy Peppermint Bark! 09 Jan 06:13
- jooahl added Quick & Easy Peppermint Bark! to Food 07 Jan 02:12
chop & melt
i use approx 12 oz milk chocolate (you can also use, or mix in dark chocolate if desired). the finished product will only be as good as the ingredients, so feel free to splurge on ghiradelli or guittard chips.
(chocolate chips are perfect size for melting, if using a block of chocolate, chop into chip sized pieces)
microwave milk chocolate for approx 45 secs*, then take out and stir gently.
microwave for another 40 secs*, then stir until entirely melted.
if chocolate not completely melted, return to microwave for 15 secs, then stir gently.
*times may vary by microwave
mix & spread
to the melted chocolate, add 3 crushed mini candy canes, and 1 tsp peppermint extract (optional) and blend well.
use a spatula to spread the chocolate mixture onto wax paper to 1/8-3/8" thick (it should be lumpy with candy cane bits, but you might want to remove any especially large ones).
chill in freezer for 15-20 min.
repeat step # 1 with white chocolate, but cut the melting times by ~10 secs
i like a 1:1 ratio for the chocolate, so if you used 12 oz of milk choc, then use 12 oz of white.
mix and spread, round 2
to melted WHITE chocolate, add 3 crushed mini candy canes, and a splash of peppermint extract (optional) and blend well.
remove sheet of milk chocolate from the freezer.
scoop 1/2 the white chocolate mixture onto the chilled milk chocolate, starting from the end. quickly spread the melted white chocolate across the milk chocolate. add the other 1/2, and continue spreading.
BE QUICK- the milk chocolate will start to melt if you take too long, or massage it too much with the spatula.
get it close to the edges, but it can/ should look messy. you're going to break it into bits later, the edges won't matter.
sprinkle & press
once the white choc layer is complete, quickly sprinkle larger chunks of crushed candy cane (3-4 mini canes) across the top.
if desired, place wax paper over bark, and press down gently, to help lodge candy cane pieces in the top layer.
chill for 15-20 min.
break apart and serve!!!