No time to embellish? I say, improvise!!
I was lucky enough to find a white "pre-dazzled" cotton blousey number on a mega sale rack that was just screaming for a color bath! With a new pair of rubber gloves and a simple, yet quite elegant dip-dye, I'm so ready for the bubbly!
- Stephanie N. favorited Predazzled Ombre Dip Dye Top 08 Sep 07:43
- Debi added Predazzled Ombre Dip Dye Top to tops 27 Oct 06:13
- Zombie Babe added Predazzled Ombre Dip Dye Top to new wardrobe 03 Oct 10:24
- Nora E. added Predazzled Ombre Dip Dye Top to Projects to try 05 Apr 18:53
- cristinakilljoyway favorited Predazzled Ombre Dip Dye Top 22 Nov 18:56
- Shari favorited Predazzled Ombre Dip Dye Top 07 Aug 03:47
- dewinthegrass favorited Predazzled Ombre Dip Dye Top 22 Jul 12:31
Here's how I did it:
I decided to accent the the fab rhinestone-y neckline with the deepest purple shade of the ombre´ and then let the color gradually fade down to just a hint of leftover sugar plum sweetness at the hemline. Sounds lovely, huh? yet it's so easy, it's almost a fashion crime.
All I did was mix up some Rit Purple Dye following the package instructions with 2 gallons of very hot water in a plastic container. The top I prewashed to remove sizing or whatever else might interfere with the fabric absorbing the dye. Also, the top should be wet before it is immersed in the dye. This too helps with dye absorption.
I lowered the top third into the dye bath for about 10 minutes, gently moving it back and forth. Next the middle third is lowered into the dye bath for about 5 minutes and then lower again so the bottom third is in the dye bath for one to two minutes.
When I removed the top from the dye, it's rinsed under cool running water. I held the lightest shade at the top to allow the dye to flow through to the darkest area. I continued to rinse in warm water until the water runs clear. The last step is a wash in warm water with mild detergent, rinse and hang to dry.
Pairing this shimmery candy top with my black retro jeans and the new stud-heeled booties I got under the tree this year, I'm ready to hit the town. Someone call me a cab!!