SMACK, CRACK AND POP
Popcorn has always been one of the holy grails of ice cream because of its propensity to soften. However, in the summer of 2011 we made a mix for fun and everybody devoured it in seconds. With addictive properties like this, we christened it ‘Smack, crack and pop’. This is an ice cream that’s like crack cocaine. In a tub.
- Rosalie E. favorited Popcorn Ice Cream 17 Mar 13:38
- ElizabethJuddTaylor favorited Popcorn Ice Cream 16 Mar 17:53
- Emma H. favorited Popcorn Ice Cream 27 May 13:09
- Shantelle t. added Popcorn Ice Cream to food!! 08 Dec 15:17
- Bonnie B. added Popcorn Ice Cream to Omnomnom 05 Dec 13:42
- SugarNSpiceLily favorited Popcorn Ice Cream 08 Nov 08:01
- amanda.shillito favorited Popcorn Ice Cream 18 Oct 06:37
- Sarah Kim favorited Popcorn Ice Cream 25 Jul 16:36
- Alina favorited Popcorn Ice Cream 18 Apr 13:20
- Theresa A. favorited Popcorn Ice Cream 08 Apr 21:26
Pour the milk and cream into a large saucepan and heat gently, stirring occasionally, until the mixture begins to steam but not boil.
Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks in a heatproof bowl until smooth. Add the sugar and salt and whisk until pale and slightly fluffy. Gradually and slowly, pour the hot milk into the egg mixture whilst whisking continuously to prevent the eggs scrambling. Return the mixture to the saucepan and place over a low heat, stirring frequently until the custard thinly coats the back of a wooden spoon. Do not allow to boil.
Add the popcorn, blend with a stick blender then sieve the custard through a strainer. Pour back into the bowl and set aside for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cooled to room temperature. For more rapid chilling, half-fill a sink with cold water and ice and place the bowl of mixture in it for 20 minutes. Never put the hot mixture into the fridge.
Once cooled, cover the mixture and refrigerate, ideally overnight, but at least for 6 hours, until thoroughly chilled (at least 4°C). Pour the chilled mixture into an ice cream machine and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
When the churning is completed, fold a handful (or as many as you want) of the butterscotch chips into the ice cream. Use a spoon or spatula to scrape it into a freezer-proof container with a lid. Freeze until it reaches the correct scooping texture (at least 2 hours).
Drizzle each portion with a little warmed sauce and decorate with the extra popcorn before serving.
Gimme some sugar, baby bruce campbell, army of darkness