The New Chicago Diner Cookbook
This creative dinner was a popular special feature for the Valentine’s Day holiday in 2013. The addition of pistachios gives tofu a new twist, and the savory bread pudding is a creative way to save a great day-old salt-top rye or other gourmet bread that might otherwise go to waste. Plate these two alongside your favorite green vegetable, and you’ll surely impress your vegan sweetie.
Yield: 4 entre servings
© 2020 Jo A. Kaucher / Agate Publishing · Reproduced with permission.
- Summer O. favorited Pistachio Crusted Tofu With Porcini Bread Pudding 22 May 05:42
- Jenn favorited Pistachio Crusted Tofu With Porcini Bread Pudding 24 Jun 14:41
- Pimke added Pistachio Crusted Tofu With Porcini Bread Pudding to Essen 22 Jan 17:34
- Tess added Pistachio Crusted Tofu With Porcini Bread Pudding to food 03 Jun 00:13
- heather r. added Pistachio Crusted Tofu With Porcini Bread Pudding to Food Items to make 22 May 18:10
- KelliDroze added Pistachio Crusted Tofu With Porcini Bread Pudding to Food 29 Apr 05:20
- judithchen added Pistachio Crusted Tofu With Porcini Bread Pudding to recipes 27 Apr 17:36
- Agate Publishing published her project Pistachio Crusted Tofu With Porcini Bread Pudding 11 Mar 09:43
You Will Need
To make the Pistachio- Crusted Tofu:
1. Prepare the Herb-Citrus Tofu recipe except the baking step. Slice into 4 slabs. Place on a plate.
2. In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal “S” blade, chop the pistachios until they have the consistency of small pebbles. Transfer them to a dry saut. pan over low heat and toast them for 2 minutes.(Keep a close eye on them, as they burn easily.)
3. Preheat the oven to 325ÅãF
(160ÅãC). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
4. Return the toasted pistachios to the bowl of the food processor and add the panko, onion powder, garlic, salt, and white pepper. Pulse until the mixture has the consistency of a fine breading, but the pistachio pieces remain a little chunky. Transfer the pistachio crusting to a shallow dish.
5. In a shallow dish, whisk together the egg replacer and water.
6. Thoroughly coat each piece of the Herb-Citrus Tofu first with the egg replacer mixture and then with the pistachio crusting. Place the crusted tofu slabs on the prepared baking sheets.
7. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven.
8. Top the Pistachio-Crusted Tofu with the Lemon Beurre Blanc Sauce and serve with the Porcini Bread Pudding and any cooked vegetable, such as roasted asparagus, Brussels sprouts, or Flashed Greens
To make the Porcini Bread Pudding:
1. In a medium mixing bowl, make a sauce for the bread by whisking together the soy milk, vegetable stock, margarine, egg replacer, chives, salt, and black pepper.
2. Place the bread in a large mixing bowl and pour the sauce over it. If the bread remains a little dry, just add a bit more soy milk and stock until the bread is completely moist but not soaked. Set aside.
3. In a large skillet over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the onion and saut. for 5 minutes, until almost tender. Add the mushrooms and saut. for another 5 to 7 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender.
4. Add the saut.ed onions and mushrooms to the mixing bowl containing the bread mixture. Using clean hands, carefully fold them together, being extra careful not to break the bread down while mixing.
Let the mixture sit at room temperature or 1 hour.
5. Preheat the oven to 325ÅãF
(160ÅãC). Lightly grease a 9 Å~ 13-inch(22.5 Å~ 32.5-cm) casserole dish.
6. Add the bread mixture to the prepared casserole dish. Lightly brush the top of the bread mixture with the melted margarine, which will help it turn golden brown.
7. Cover with foil and bake for 20to 25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven. Serve immediately