Make a Pinata Cupcake
This is a fun craft to use up all those shirt boxes and tissue you have lying around from the holidays. Even though this craft is easy to do, it does take up a good amount of time. I recommend spreading out the steps into three days: 1st day - construct box, 2nd day - paper mache, 3rd day- cover with tissue. You can make your bank into any shape you want, get creative!
- Miranda M. favorited Pinata Cupcake (Piggy) Bank 14 Jul 15:26
- Pimke added Pinata Cupcake (Piggy) Bank to Party 27 Jan 13:03
- Aurelie L. added Pinata Cupcake (Piggy) Bank to Fête 14 Mar 22:07
- DocDoolittle favorited Pinata Cupcake (Piggy) Bank 08 Dec 00:36
- Nikola W. added Pinata Cupcake (Piggy) Bank to inspirations. 02 Nov 03:54
Cardboard - I used one large shirt box top
Paper mache paste
White paint - optional
To make the cupcake bank, make two identical cupcake shaped pieces out of the cardboard. I recommend making a template with paper first. Next, cut 2 inch wide strips that could wrap around the entire sides of the cupcakes to form a box. It's important that your bank can stand on its own so your base needs to be proportional to the size of your bank.
Starting at the bottom, layer tissue to cover entire box. Do this for all sides. You want to start from the bottom so only the fringe shows. If you start from the top, the folded part of the tissue will show instead of the fringe.
*When working with different colors, sometimes it's easier to draw out the pattern on your box.