Pearl Lowe's Vintage Craft
This tablecloth is not one for everyday use, but it will make your kitchen table a little bit special. I have used ivory lace and black cotton, but choose fabric and colours that suit your style. The instructions given here make a tablecloth that measures 2.8 x 1.6m (9 x 5ft): it has nine rows, each with five squares.
Press under 1cm (1/2 in) on each edge of the cotton squares.
- TheSewingMaven favorited Patchwork Lace Tablecloth 30 Sep 05:16
- noche-estrellada added Patchwork Lace Tablecloth to Mori Girl Room 21 Sep 18:00
- pandanomz favorited Patchwork Lace Tablecloth 08 Sep 12:49
- linda m. favorited Patchwork Lace Tablecloth 28 Jul 18:20
- Alissa B. favorited Patchwork Lace Tablecloth 31 Jul 09:00
- Jackie Martinez favorited Patchwork Lace Tablecloth 30 Jul 04:48
Working across one row of squares, right sides up. and alternating lace and fabric, pin five squares together, overlapping by about 5mm (1/4 in). Stitch together using overlock stitch on the sewing machine.
Repeat for the remaining eight rows, but alternate the order of the fabric and lace. Stitch together the rows in the same way to make one large tablecloth.
To finish, cut the lace border into four pieces to match the length and width of the tablecloth but with an additional 22cm (9in) on each piece for mitring the corners. With right sides up, pin the fabric over the border with 11cm (4½in) excess at each end. Stitch together using overlock stitch, as before. If your lace border is narrower or wider than 11cm (4½in), you will need to adjust the excess for mitring accordingly.
To mitre the corners, pin and tack together the lace border at a 45-degree angle to the corner of the main fabric, with right sides facing. Press the excess fabric to one side and then overlock the layers together, right side uppermost. Trim the excess. Repeat for each corner.