Makes approximately 5 cups
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
This is a tasty variation on buttered popcorn that one of my Little Kitchen teachers, Lisa, taught my cooking students. Serve it at your next party or for National Popcorn Day – 19 January. It’s sure to be a hit!
- Laura S. favorited Nacho Flavoured Popcorn 19 Feb 16:55
- Cat Morley added Nacho Flavoured Popcorn to Food Festival Munchies 20 Jun 05:52
- amyistheparty added Nacho Flavoured Popcorn to movie night 18 Apr 22:00
- ElizabethJuddTaylor favorited Nacho Flavoured Popcorn 16 Mar 17:57
- arina m. favorited Nacho Flavoured Popcorn 08 Jan 22:55
- Shantelle t. added Nacho Flavoured Popcorn to food!! 08 Dec 14:02
- katie q. favorited Nacho Flavoured Popcorn 14 Sep 20:52
- Mennen G. favorited Nacho Flavoured Popcorn 01 Jul 04:06
- piefacetoldmeso favorited Nacho Flavoured Popcorn 26 May 23:01
- Liv V. favorited Nacho Flavoured Popcorn 23 May 04:04
Measure the oil into a large, heavy-based saucepan and add two kernels of popping corn.
With adult help: Heat the saucepan over medium–high
heat. When the two kernels pop, tip the remaining popping
corn into the saucepan and quickly put the lid on. Wearing
an oven mitt, hold the lid on tight and gently swirl the pan
around so all of the popping corn gets coated in oil.
Soon you’ll hear the corn start to pop! Keep the lid on and
don’t peek, because the corn could escape from the pan and burn you. If you really want to see what’s happening, try using a saucepan with a glass lid.
With adult help: Give the pan a gentle shake with the lid on
while the corn is popping. After roughly a minute, when the
sound of popping has slowed to 1 or 2 pops every 5 seconds, take the saucepan off the heat. Leave the lid on until the corn has stopped popping completely.
With adult help: Wearing oven mitts, use a large measuring
cup to scoop the popcorn into a bowl. Leave any dark bits
in the bottom of the pan. These are the corn kernels that
didn’t pop or open all the way and may have burnt – there
are usually a few in every batch.
With adult help: In a small saucepan, melt the butter over
medium heat. Once the butter has melted, remove the
pan from the heat and add the spices and salt. Mix well,
then evenly pour the butter mixture over the popcorn.
Using a metal spoon, stir well. Add the grated parmesan
and quickly combine so the cheese sticks to the popcorn.