For keeping your hands warm or as a mini hot water bottle
I always thought microwavable warmers would be nice and easy to make so gave it a shot. Was looking for something small so I could carry them easily when it is cold outside but also so I could keep them in my bag and use them as heat packs for pain while out at work.
- Courtney B. favorited Microwaveable Handwarmers 26 Jun 14:10
- Maxine M. added Microwaveable Handwarmers to To-make list 10 Apr 00:57
- Marissa S. favorited Microwaveable Handwarmers 26 Dec 05:17
- Hebba88 favorited Microwaveable Handwarmers 26 Nov 22:24
- Timber H. added Microwaveable Handwarmers to Diy 28 Jul 12:28
- bsidebeauty added Microwaveable Handwarmers to n00b 17 Apr 14:39
- c.nicolav added Microwaveable Handwarmers to Knitting.Crochet 07 Mar 17:30
- Audrey P. favorited Microwaveable Handwarmers 01 Feb 05:38
- Gemma T. entered her project Microwaveable Handwarmers to Jump From Paper 27 Jan 19:28
Felt the knitting. This can be done by putting it through a hot wash with an old towel or some tumble dryer balls, anything that causes agitation but nothing you want to keep nice as it may shed a fair bit of fluff. I did it 3 times in the machine in total but do it as many times as it takes to get to the right size and ensure the fabric no longer opens up.
Make 2 pouches with some cotton fabric and fill them three quarters full of rice. I used basmati. If you want a scent when they are heated, add some dried lavender or similar at this stage.
Cut whatever shape you want out of some wool felt sheets, 2 for each hand warmer. Put one at the top and then one upside down at the bottom. These shapes should then be needle felted onto the wool. If you do not have a needle felting tool then they can be sewn on.
Finally, fold the wool rectangle in half with the pouch on the inside then whip stitch or blanket stitch it closed. The 2 layers of felt may be quite thick so a good darning needle is required and some strong wool is best.
To use, just pop it in the microwave for a minute or so. It will stay warm for some time and can be used again and again.