quilts can be geeky too
Everyone loves Super Mario! This guy is great for quilting beginners as it uses only 2 inch squares — no tricky angles! It’s a bit of an odd finished size so you might want to add fat borders to make it a more regular size. I used solid colors but I think it would be great as a scrappy quilt if you had lots of different yellows, reds, and browns.<p>
This tutorial does not explain how to quilt. It merely does the math and counting for you so that you can make the Mario block.<p>
A finished block is 21.75″ wide by 25.25″ tall.
- PineconePrincess favorited Mario Quilt Block 22 Feb 22:23
- December XX favorited Mario Quilt Block 23 Nov 16:03
- CraftyCat added Mario Quilt Block to Sewing 23 Nov 06:06
- CraftyCat favorited Mario Quilt Block 23 Nov 06:06
- Tierra T. favorited Mario Quilt Block 16 Nov 21:32
- Asherah Arts (formerly Lee Rose) added Mario Quilt Block to arcade 21 Sep 01:32
- TheSewingMaven favorited Mario Quilt Block 01 Sep 03:48
- Sylvie S. favorited Mario Quilt Block 29 Dec 15:45
- Ruth C. added Mario Quilt Block to Games 20 Dec 00:31
- olbetha favorited Mario Quilt Block 18 Aug 17:25
1. Cut the following amount of 2″ squares for each block in your quilt: 46 reds, 44 yellows, 64 browns, and 117 background squares.
2. Begin piecing the squares together to make the following single color chains:
Red — 1 nine piece, 1 five piece, 1 four piece, 1 two piece, 1 eight piece, 1 six piece and 2 three pieces.
Brown — 6 two pieces, 5 four piece, 5 three pieces, and 2 five pieces.
Yellow — 5 two pieces, 6 three pieces, 1 four piece and 1 seven piece.
Background — 3 five pieces, 7 four pieces, 10 three pieces, 1 six piece, and 11 two pieces.
If you want to do a solid like I did -- (so that you use the same fabric for each color) then there is a quicker way to make up this block.
Instead of sewing together 2" blocks when you have two of the same color touching, use the following measurements.
When you have a 2-piece, cut the piece 2" x 3.5"
When you have a 3-piece, cut the piece 2" x 5
When you have a 4-piece, cut the piece 2" x 6.5"
When you have a 5-piece, cut the piece 2" x 8
6-piece, cut the piece 2" x 9.5"
7-piece, cut the piece 2" x 11"
8-piece, cut the piece 2" x 12.5"
9-piece, cut the piece 2" x 14