Hanging Mobile with Shrink Plastic
Shrink Plastic is a very exciting craft form that can be used to create fantastic things and it is a joy to play with.
Draw and colour on the plastic sheet, cut to it shape, pop it into the oven to bake and the plastic will shrink to about a quarter to half of its original size and will become harder and thicker.
The result is a very durable piece of unique art that can be used as jewellery, buttons, charms, tags, ornaments, etc.
- Sarah Sylvia S. favorited Magical Shrink Plastic 18 Jul 04:58
- Susan D added Magical Shrink Plastic to Pretty in Pink 03 Jul 05:47
- SilverSnake S. favorited Magical Shrink Plastic 07 Jun 21:50
- Conner W. added Magical Shrink Plastic to craft ideas 11 Feb 02:23
- Conner W. favorited Magical Shrink Plastic 11 Feb 02:23
- Chudames favorited Magical Shrink Plastic 25 Jan 23:08
- Emma H. favorited Magical Shrink Plastic 25 Jan 14:42
- Mui Hong A. published their project Magical Shrink Plastic 22 Jan 09:00
Draw and colour images on the shrink plastic. The plastic will shrink to about a quarter to half of its original size, so we have to make our images and words big. As the plastic shrinks, the colours will become more intense, so using lighter and brighter colours would yield better results.
Cut the shrink plastic to shape. Punch holes at places where we intend to insert the ball chains. In my case, I have punched the holes at the teddy bear's ears, the tip of the rocket, top of the cloud, etc.
To shrink the plastic, pre-heat the oven to between 175 degree Celsius and 180 degree Celsius. When the oven is heated, place the shrink plastic onto a piece of aluminium foil and place it into the oven. The side of the shrink plastic where we have coloured on should be facing upwards.
Watch the shrink plastic while it is in the oven. It will first curl up and then flatten out. Wait until it has flatten out to remove from the oven. Once it is out of the oven and still hot and pliable, quickly place it into a flat surface and put a book on top for a few seconds to completely flatten and set it hard.