Give a special message that cannot be seen by the light of day
This technique has been used to create beautiful pieces of art and even commercials. You can choose to write words/messages, you can paint pictures, you can even enhance pictures and give your subjects super powers. It takes the same amount of time as any other pictures, so have fun spicing up your photographic life!
Note: I use a Nikon D3000, so how I program my camera varies from how, say Cannon users, program their cameras; however, the basic principle is the same.
- Rebecca A. favorited Light Writing 31 Oct 00:37
- xcreepylicious favorited Light Writing 21 Nov 06:07
- Annabethrulestheworld B. added Light Writing to What makes me happy 06 Jun 23:18
- Sammy 2020 favorited Light Writing 17 May 08:22
- joathina favorited Light Writing 16 May 18:56
- Falene M. entered her project Light Writing to Projecteo Contest 14 May 06:13
- Maxine M. added Light Writing to To-make list 18 Apr 05:33
- G D. favorited Light Writing 13 Apr 17:18
- MerBear93 favorited Light Writing 18 Feb 01:37
- Rebekah Dementia added Light Writing to 1 02 Feb 22:01
Find a dark location with no artificial light, and try to avoid street or areas where cars may pass by. It is really annoying to have a great shot be ruined by a car's headlights.
To get the required shutter speed - which is slow as we need a long exposure length - I use the bulb setting.
To get the right shutter speed you will have to depress the shutter release (the button that takes the shot) down and hold it for as long as you want the shutter to stay open and as long as it takes to finish your writing.
Now...take the shot. If it doesn't come out perfectly, change something.
If the light is to thick, or not clear enough, or it allows for too much light, change to a different flash light.
Note that if you stay in one place too long the light will 'burn', causing too much white in the photo (as seen here).