Beanies & Bobble Hats
Transform the child in your life into prince or princess with this cute knitted crown. I’ve gone down the traditional route and knitted mine a soft gold yarn—but choose any color you like. I’ve kept to a clean, simple look—as I thought the lacy stitch was quite fancy enough, but you want a burst of added bling, sew on a few sequins and gems, whatever you can find in your craft box.
Lion Brand Hometown USA (100%
acrylic) super-chunky yarn
1 x 5oz (142g) ball (81yd/74m) in shade
170 Las Vegas Gold
1¼ yd/1m gold jewelry wire (optional, but not suggested if the crown is for a very young child)
Needles and equipment
US 10 (6mm) knitting needles
Yarn sewing needle
11 sts and 16 rows in stockinette
(stocking) stitch to a 4-in (10-cm)
square on US 10 (6mm) needles.
The finished crown measures approx.
16in (40cm) circumference and 4¼ in
(11cm) high. It should fit an average-size
child of 4–6 years.
© 2020 Fiona Goble / Ryland Peters & Small · Reproduced with permission. · BEANIES & BOBBLE HATS by FIONA GOBLE, published by CICO Books (£12.99) Photos © TERRY BENSON
- gloomy-smiles favorited Knitted Crown 18 Jan 03:52
- Shipley added Knitted Crown to knitting 06 Feb 16:24
- fritzcracker favorited Knitted Crown 26 Oct 01:54
- Kent H. favorited Knitted Crown 04 Aug 08:22
- rainbowjo86 favorited Knitted Crown 05 Sep 08:40
- Chelsea M. favorited Knitted Crown 16 Jul 03:48
- Elena B. favorited Knitted Crown 25 May 21:51
- mumiavadasz favorited Knitted Crown 24 May 18:49
- Charity M. added Knitted Crown to To-make list 23 May 19:37
- Sandy C. favorited Knitted Crown 23 May 09:49
For the crown
Cast on 4 sts.
Row 1: K1, yo, k1, p1, k1. (5 sts)
Row 2 and every WS row: K2, p to
Row 3: K1, yo, k2, p1, k1. (6 sts)
Row 5: K1, yo, k1, k2tog, yo, p1, k1.
Row 7: K1, yo, k1, k2tog, yo, k1, p1, k1.
Row 9: K1, yo, k1, k2tog, yo, k2, p1, k1.
Row 11: K1, yo, [k1, k2tog, yo] twice,
p1, k1. (10 sts)
Row 13: Cast (bind) off 6 sts, yo, k1,
p1, k1. (5 sts)
Rep rows 2–13, 5 times more.
Bind (cast) off rem sts, working in stitch
With RS facing, pick up and knit 40 sts
evenly along the lower edge.
Knit 2 rows.
Bind (cast) off.
To make up
Sew the back seam using flat stitch.
Weave in all loose ends.
Using the needle, thread the wire through the top of the peaks of the crown.