easy to make felt decoration for your homemade jam!
The jam jar I used is 8.5cm in diameter across the lid. If your jar is larger, you can adjust the size of the felt circle to match.
- PineconePrincess favorited Jam Jar Topper 26 Sep 02:23
- Alice N. added Jam Jar Topper to Other 03 Jan 23:58
- IDreamOfArizona favorited Jam Jar Topper 15 May 21:56
- pandanomz favorited Jam Jar Topper 08 Sep 14:31
- Greta B. added Jam Jar Topper to Bits & Bobs 20 Apr 13:45
- Crafty Pirate favorited Jam Jar Topper 09 Nov 16:55
- zoegirl221 favorited Jam Jar Topper 18 Sep 02:37
- Hella added Jam Jar Topper to Other 15 Aug 20:25
- Shadow M. favorited Jam Jar Topper 12 Aug 13:44
- sian.emilyy favorited Jam Jar Topper 03 Aug 11:57
First, scallop around the edge of the large felt circle, I just used normal scissors for this and did it freehand, but if you have some scalloped edge scissors, you could use those.
Then, place the jam jar lid centrally, and draw round it with a pencil to mark its position. Thread the needle with the ribbon, weave it in and out all the way round, 1cm away from the drawn circle. You may need to poke a small hole with some sharp scissors first, just make sure that both ends of the ribbon come out on the top side of the topper so they can be tied in a bow.
Next, to make mini strawberries to decorate the ribbon with, fold the red rectangle in half, and sew down one of the open edges which is at a right angle to the fold. Trim the open side to a curve, turn the shape inside out so the seams are on the inside, fill with a little stuffing, then sew running stitch all the way round the open edge, and pull to gather. Before you sew it up, poke in one end of the ribbon, then secure the top with a few stitches.
Again, decorate the strawberry with some yellow french knots and add some more green felt leaves. Then pop your topper back on your jam jar and tie the ribbon into a bow. The good thing about making this in felt, is felt is quite forgiving, it is really easy to sew with, doesn't fray, and has a little 'give' in it so will stretch to fit if it's a little tight.