Gathers and ruching made easy!
Gathered fabric in your sewing project can add great visual impact and fun style. And it's easier than you might think!
- A V. favorited How To Sew Gathers 18 Oct 01:44
- kittybadass5 c. favorited How To Sew Gathers 10 Apr 07:17
- Jacqulene C. favorited How To Sew Gathers 22 Nov 14:32
- Markee R. added How To Sew Gathers to Bettie Page 01 Apr 14:32
- notthatmj favorited How To Sew Gathers 20 Oct 17:31
- Penny F. added How To Sew Gathers to SEWING 01 Sep 16:06
- Jessika G. favorited How To Sew Gathers 22 Aug 11:51
- Alissa B. favorited How To Sew Gathers 19 Aug 18:29
- SeamstressErin published her project How To Sew Gathers 14 Jun 00:48
To add evenly spaced gathers to your sewing project, all you need is two extra lines of stitching. Stitch two rows of gathering stitches along the seam you want to gather. These are straight stitches using your longest stitch length (like you would for basting). Sew them just inside and outside of the seam allowance (so if your pattern has a 5/8" seam allowance, sew one line at 3/4" and one at 1/2"). Gently pull on the bobbin threads to evenly distribute the gathers.