This requires coconut oil & letting it sit in your hair for a hour+
These pictures in the steps will show the process of removing my stubborn red color.
For this guide, we are using the coconut oil method and a bleach bath (aka soap cap). By protecting your hair in oil, you will get little to no damage from bleaching. This also speeds up the process!
I've used the expensive organic kind and the super cheap $3 kind at a market. It all works the same. This oil is a solid so fill up your sink with hot water and let it sit for 5 minutes. Apply this all over your hair. Soaking, dripping... the better! Wear an old shirt/towel or wrap your hair up in a bag. Wait at least a hour. I recommend at least 3 hours. Reapply the oil before you apply your bleach mixture.
-Don't expect to go blonde in one day.
-Wait 3-7 days inbetween bleachings.
-Don't leave bleach on longer than one hour.
-Use 40 volume for black hair & 20/30 volume for lighter.
-You can use this method for bleaching and dyes that use developer (to activate color).
Bleach bath recipe:
Mix your bleach and developer as your instructions tell you to. I actually scoop a tiny bit of water into the bowl and pour a bunch of clarifying shampoo into it. Mix it all together!
Can I dye my hair afterwards?
Shampoo your hair at least two times to remove the oil. Your hair will feel dry. Do not use conditioner. Blowdry your hair and feel for any residue. Re-wash again if necessary
My hair didn't lift enough, how should I treat it?
Use a conditioning or oil treatment. Mix a small amount of coconut oil in it if you like! Air dry :) Shampoo it out the next day. Wait a few days and bleach it for 20-30 minutes.
How do I know my hair is ready to be dyed?
Assuming that your hair has lifted enough. It shouldn't have any oil residue leftover. If you shampooed it out 100% then you need to airdry or blow dry your hair 100%. Bone dry. If you are not sure, wait a day, shampoo again and dry it.
What are veggie dyes?
RAW, SFX, Punky, Manic Panic, Ion Brights (only), etc.
These will condition your hair. I recommend leaving these dyes in for at least 3 hours. (Remember, patience!) You can wrap it up for the night and wake up to wash soft new hair :)
Sometimes I'll wash out the dye early and I'll end having to redyeing it to brighten or deepen the color, so save your time!
Can I use the coconut oil method with dye?
Veggie dyes, no! Any dyes that require using a developer to activate color, YES. These dyes you can only leave it for 25 minutes or the time recommended for that exact dye.
*I do not recommend double processing. Wait 1-3 days before you use those dyes (developer) on freshly bleached hair.*
- Sassy M. favorited How To Safely Bleach (Or Dye) Your Hair 27 Jun 01:51
- Xfluffy_unitatoX favorited How To Safely Bleach (Or Dye) Your Hair 17 Nov 02:35
- Pbnjxx favorited How To Safely Bleach (Or Dye) Your Hair 26 Jul 03:39
- Nicola G. favorited How To Safely Bleach (Or Dye) Your Hair 05 Jun 18:03
- Alisa B. favorited How To Safely Bleach (Or Dye) Your Hair 28 May 01:15
- Luna's acesorios Lucii desu(L) favorited How To Safely Bleach (Or Dye) Your Hair 08 Mar 20:00
- Arienrhod1 favorited How To Safely Bleach (Or Dye) Your Hair 26 Dec 06:56
- jesika530 added How To Safely Bleach (Or Dye) Your Hair to Hair 02 Aug 11:13
- Crafterella added How To Safely Bleach (Or Dye) Your Hair to Shirley Manson 28 Apr 12:17
- Emily D. favorited How To Safely Bleach (Or Dye) Your Hair 09 Mar 22:01