How to make a hoop skirt (crinoline)
This is how I made the hoop skirt for my Scarlett O'Hara Barbecue dress costume.
- Jeanette L. favorited How To Make A Hoop Skirt 24 Oct 01:44
- Key West Witch favorited How To Make A Hoop Skirt 06 May 02:49
- liza.minelli.564 favorited How To Make A Hoop Skirt 16 Apr 20:59
- Linda W. commented on How To Make A Hoop Skirt 21 Feb 20:35
- hmarrow favorited How To Make A Hoop Skirt 10 Oct 16:32
- Amanda V. favorited How To Make A Hoop Skirt 18 Mar 01:32
- Missy Meepish favorited How To Make A Hoop Skirt 18 Dec 22:55
- kimberley.proctor added How To Make A Hoop Skirt to clothing 03 Nov 17:00
- Sara A. (as in awesome) favorited How To Make A Hoop Skirt 28 Mar 14:07
- Sara A. (as in awesome) added How To Make A Hoop Skirt to Stuff to modify with 28 Mar 14:07
-1: 150 x 40 cm (coutil/heavy cotton)
-2: 300 x 40 cm (coutil/heavy cotton)
-3: 400 x 20 cm (tulle or coutil/heavy cotton) (lengthen according to your height).
You also need:
-10 m. of plastic boning
-10 m of bias tape
- a ribbon long enough to tie around your waist (waist x 2)
Sew a line (or 2 depending of the thickness of your fabric) of gathering at the top of each skirt pieces.
Join all the skirt pieces together like on the drawing.
On the wrong side of the fabric, stitch the bias tape to create casing for the boning. I made 4 rows: one in the center of skirt 1, one on the first seam allowance, one in the center of skirt 2 and one on the bottom seam allowance.
Let the extremities of the tape free (about 3-4 cm).
Stitch the back seam, keeping the tape out of the way.
Insert the plastic boning inside the casing (make sure the boning is a few cm longer than the circomference so that it overlaps and doesn't tear the fabric).
Finish to close the casing over the back seam by hand.
Fold the fabric to the inside at the waist to create a waistband. Pass the ribbon through the opening and pull tigh around your waist.