Jewelry For All Seasons
Sometimes you just cannot find the clasp that you want, in either the size or the color. Making your own hook and eye clasp is easy; although the process looks as if it requires many steps, it is actually quite straightforward, and you will soon be making your own versions in all colors and sizes.
- Deborah H. favorited Hook And Eye Clasps 10 Mar 05:55
- Bek S. favorited Hook And Eye Clasps 02 Aug 10:43
- Sarah Sylvia S. favorited Hook And Eye Clasps 19 Jul 06:21
- Chudames favorited Hook And Eye Clasps 05 Feb 23:50
- risa w. favorited Hook And Eye Clasps 29 Dec 04:21
- Danette C. added Hook And Eye Clasps to To Make: Jewelry 30 Nov 22:15
- Danette C. favorited Hook And Eye Clasps 30 Nov 22:15
- Yvonne C. favorited Hook And Eye Clasps 25 Nov 01:10
- Carmela H. favorited Hook And Eye Clasps 13 Nov 00:45
- Moira A. favorited Hook And Eye Clasps 01 Nov 20:46
How to make the hook
Cut a 6in (150mm) length of wire and straighten it
by running it through the jaws of a pair of nylon jaw
pliers. 2in (50mm) from the end, make a bend using
round-nose pliers. Bend the wire right over until it
forms a U-shape and squeeze the wire together.
Using the smallest diameter jaw (tip) of a pair
of round-nose pliers, bend the U-shaped end
over to make a small loop.
Turning the small loop end away from you and
using the largest diameter of the jaw of the
round-nose pliers (nearest the plier joints), make a
large loop about 1⁄4in (6mm) below the small loop.
At the point where the shorter wire ends, make
a right-angle bend in the longer wire using
With round-nose pliers, make a loop and fold
the wire back on itself to leave a tail.
Wrap the tail around, enclosing the short
wire inside the loop and wrap several times.
Cut any excess wire using wire cutters and tuck
in the wire end using chain-nose pliers. The hook
section of the clasp is now complete, and can be
attached to the eye.