DIY vanilla extract that is super easy to make
This homemade vanilla extract is great for gifts. You can replace the vodka with another liquor like bourbon for a different flavor profile.
- Emo Chick favorited Homemade Vanilla Extract 28 May 17:35
- Mary J. favorited Homemade Vanilla Extract 29 Mar 13:36
- Agresija favorited Homemade Vanilla Extract 22 Feb 19:28
- Sarah B. added Homemade Vanilla Extract to Food 20 Feb 17:25
- stephanie favorited Homemade Vanilla Extract 14 Feb 01:40
- KelliDroze added Homemade Vanilla Extract to Basics/Decorations 13 Feb 17:12
- Penny F. added Homemade Vanilla Extract to Baking 13 Feb 14:38
- kellypeloza published her project Homemade Vanilla Extract 21 Jan 04:36
Use 3 vanilla beans per 1 cup liquor. Scale the quantities up or down as much as you’d like (I made 1 1/2 quarts!).
Slice each vanilla bean lengthwise, scrape the insides a bit to loosen the good stuff, and chop the beans into 1-2 inch pieces. No need to be precise.
Combine the measured liquor and vanilla beans in the bottle(s) of your choice.
Done! Let sit in a dark, cool place for 2-3 months before using. Shake the bottles every few days.
When the vanilla is ready, it will be dark brown in color. Use as directed in any recipe.