Make Your Own Two Step Stamps!
This tutorial teaches you how to make two, or even three, step stamps using stencils or by drawing free-hand.
You can also visit an additional tutorial on my blog that covers more basics of creating your own two-step stamps.
- Tashianna S. favorited Homemade Two Step Stamps Using A Stencil Or A Drawing 11 Apr 13:07
- Amanda P. favorited Homemade Two Step Stamps Using A Stencil Or A Drawing 23 Jun 07:24
- Sarah Sylvia S. favorited Homemade Two Step Stamps Using A Stencil Or A Drawing 19 Jul 01:37
- Lorrie B. added Homemade Two Step Stamps Using A Stencil Or A Drawing to crafts 23 May 19:08
- alexandra.wood.148 favorited Homemade Two Step Stamps Using A Stencil Or A Drawing 16 May 00:49
- nikimaki published her project Homemade Two Step Stamps Using A Stencil Or A Drawing 15 May 06:00
Take your plexiglass, decide on the size of base you want to cut and then score it several times with an craft blade. Next, hold the scored-line against the edge of your table and WHACK IT really hard. For my second batch I bought thinner plexiglass then suggested and it snapped with ease while still being rigid enough to stamp with.
You'll need two plexiglass bases for each layered stamp set; one for the foam stamp, one for the silicone.
For the silicone step, trace your stenciled image onto scrap paper and place the matching-size base over top. Trace the pattern in silicone. Let dry over night. The type of silicone I use says, “shower ready in three hours” but I let it dry longer.
Tip: If you’ve tested your foam stamp on paper, don't lay your plexiglass over your stamped image for the silicone step as it'll come out backwards because your outlining the mirror image. I did... not good.
Tips and Trouble Shooting:
* Ink goes on to the silicone better if you rub fine sand paper over it very gently.
* Wash these carefully - they aren’t as durable as manufactured stamps.
* I’ve had a few silicone pieces come loose when rinsing. It seems to occur where my line of silicone was too narrow. But, when I’ve let them air dry they reattached.
* Repairs or additions to your image can be made at any time, just add more silicone.
* To make three-step stamps create your foam background layer and silicone outline. Then make a third layer of designs to fill the outline. For example, with the banner I could make a layer to add stripes or polka dots to each pennant.
* Choose versatile shapes and make multiple silicone toppers. A rectangle could have a matching high rise layer but also serve as a text block (remember to mirror your writing so it’ll be oriented correctly when stamped), bricks, a border design, presents etc.