Use only a few ingredients to custom-make your own amazingly soft lip balm!
There are several lip balm recipes around the internet, and I have tried many of them, and settled on using these three ingredients - beeswax, coconut oil, and shea butter - as it makes for the softest most effective balm I have ever used!
Ingredients can be found at local health food stores, or online at soap-making-type companies. Coconut oil is also a cooking ingredient, so you may be able to find it at a grocery store. I found it at a bulk food store. Shea butter is also a hair product for some, I have seen it at Wal-Mart before. Make sure it is 100% shea butter with no other ingredients.
I purchased chapstick-style containers online, as well as used tins I already had. You can use any small container that you like, or even wash out your own containers from store-bought products.
- Danielle added Homemade Lip Balm to Lip Balms 24 Jul 22:05
- K2 favorited Homemade Lip Balm 07 Dec 03:56
- Emma H. favorited Homemade Lip Balm 10 May 00:32
- Amara A. favorited Homemade Lip Balm 25 Mar 19:19
- Angzii Attackz favorited Homemade Lip Balm 21 Jan 02:05
- Sarah S. added Homemade Lip Balm to Beauty stuff 19 Jan 07:50
- an.jell.yuh favorited Homemade Lip Balm 30 Nov 03:47
- M1CHAEL5H1RLEY added Homemade Lip Balm to BEAUTY 02 Nov 05:00
- Jasinta M. added Homemade Lip Balm to Bath Makes 25 Sep 23:38
- denise.kowal.58 added Homemade Lip Balm to Beauty 16 Sep 16:49
Measure out about 1 tablespoon of each of coconut oil, shea butter, and beeswax into the cup.
If you're inclined to experiment and customize - more beeswax will make a harder lip balm, more oil will make it softer.
Bring the water to a boil, then begin to simmer on medium heat to create a double-boiler effect.
Stir the mixture a few times until completely melted.
Add a few drops of essential oils if you would like your lip balm to have a certain aroma (optional). I like lavender the best with the combination of other ingredients.
(You could also use a homemade mixture of edible flowers, boiled in shallow water for a couple of hours. Strain the water using cheesecloth - and add a few drops to the lip balm mixture.)
Mix and remove from heat USING AN OVEN MITT!
Let harden and decorate!
You may like to add stickers, or labels with ingredients - especially if giving as a gift! Make your own, or they can also be ordered online if you are making a large batch.
The mixture should harden within 30 minutes.
Store in a cool, dry place.