This simple, envelope-style clutch is the perfect mini-accessory for an evening on the town.
- Sveta favorited Heather Envelope Style Evening Clutch 20 Oct 00:11
- Keila M. favorited Heather Envelope Style Evening Clutch 08 Apr 04:15
- Julie K. favorited Heather Envelope Style Evening Clutch 26 Oct 13:04
- Alecia B. favorited Heather Envelope Style Evening Clutch 01 Aug 16:47
- purplestreets favorited Heather Envelope Style Evening Clutch 10 Jul 15:21
- Casablanca favorited Heather Envelope Style Evening Clutch 16 Apr 09:33
- Ichigo M. favorited Heather Envelope Style Evening Clutch 06 Sep 20:27
- Kalicia K. favorited Heather Envelope Style Evening Clutch 01 Jul 00:53
Create a pattern for the main piece, cut to the dimensions below. You can create the pattern out of posterboard or a large folder.
Trace 2 of the main pattern pieces onto the fusible interfacing and cut them out.
With the shiny glue side down, place 1 of the fusible interfacing pieces onto the wrong side of the exterior fabric. Place the other piece of interfacing onto the lining fabric. Press with an iron so each piece of interfacing fuses to the fabrics.
Cut out both the exterior and lining pieces, using the edge of the interfacing as a guide for where to cut.
With a 1/4" (6mm) seam allowance, sew the outside fabric piece to the lining piece, along all edges except the bottom, as shown in Diagram 1.
Turn the clutch right side out, making sure to really poke out the corners. Chopsticks can be particularly handy for this. You want them to be squared off, rather than looking rounded.
Fold the bottom portion of the clutch piece as far up as you would like the pocket to extend. This should be at least 1/3 the height of the whole piece. Fold more for a larger pocket and smaller flap (see Diagram 3). In the example below, the pocket piece is folded up approximately 4" [10cm].
Fold the flap down and make a pen mark when the outie part of the snap hits the exterior fabric. Insert the innie part of the magnetic snap. Unfold the flap as well as the bottom pocket portion of the bag.
Topstitch 1/4" [6mm] from the pinned open edge.